The Empty Harvest / Part 2

The two superheroes had gone their separate ways, making their plans on their own. The two being angry at each other like an old couple. 

Something that did not make them move forward.

Strangely, the bugs stayed in this part of town. They both knew they were probably like the jellyfish, controlled by something, their enemy. 

Before they could inspect things anymore, the sound of several honking came to their ears.

At the end of the street, a van was coming at full speed, despite its speed it was surrounded by thousands of locusts.

Without hesitation, Lucky Cat jumped at the right time to land on top, not caring about the insects. He moved to the front door, inside was a panicked woman.

He did not hesitate to open the door and take out the conductor, who was heading straight for the small business Antony was hanging on. 

Antony, at lightning speed, used the various street lamps to build a net using the thread of his yoyo, which seemed endless.

His action made it possible to stop the vehicle without too much damage and especially without it breaking down the store.

The van continued to be devoured by insects. But at least the driver was safe, in the arms of the cat she didn't seem to want to leave.

Tinea: You're safe now, Ma'am. Do you know why they were attacking you?

"- Oh, I think I do."

She explained that this van came to supply the store with fruits and vegetables.

"In any case, you are doing excellent teamwork ! I’m a big fan."

The two exchanged a look of mixed bitterness and embarrassment.

The woman left to take shelter.

Antony:… That was brave of you to jump on the van even though it was full of bugs… Plus you were faster than me.

Tinea:… I mean, great save for the van now we can…

His eyes lighted up.

Tinea: Now we can use it to attract them !

Antony: Uhh, do you think it can still drive?

The cat jumped on the front seat, after clearing those few crickets that bothered him.

Tinea: Everything can drive as long as YOU can drive.

His partner climbed into the passenger seat.

Antony: Perfect, because I can't drive-

Tinea observed the vast majority of the bugs that hadn't noticed the van yet. He tweaked a few buttons and finally managed to unlock the doors that prevented direct access to the food.

The scent caught the attention of the rest of the cloud, so he kicked off.

Antony clung to everything he could.

Antony: Do you have a plan after that ??

Tinea: No, I will attract them outside of the city. For the rest, I count on you.

The Bug eyes lit up, moved.

Antony: You… You're counting on me?

Tinea: Don't let this get to your head.

The cat was too busy trying not to bump into a passerby to see the expression of pure happiness on his teammate's face.

***

Once out of town, they hurried to evacuate the vehicle before getting nibbled on as well.

Antony had only one solution left. He threw his yoyo into the sky.

Antony: Lucky charm !

His weapon transformed before returning to his hands.

Antony: A fishing net ? Well this one is pretty clear. A little help ?

He stretched one end of the net towards Tinea.

The two climbed a tree, opposite to each other. The bugs were still busy emptying stocks, but they would soon be asking for more.

Once properly positioned, they threw the net onto the van. Imprisoning the great majority of insects.

Tinea: What should we do now ?

Antony: Well, we could transport them if the van was gone…

Tinea: I can help with that.

He jumped off his tree, landing in on his paws like a good cat.

Tinea: Cataclysm !

The energy of destruction spread through his hand, but he only put a finger in the middle of the net. Touching the body of the vehicle, which turns to dust.

At the same time, the two managed to catch a glimpse of this energy which evaporated from the insects.

Antony:… You know, what ?

Tinea: What ?

Antony: I think your cataclysm is the thing that triggers animals to return to normal.

Tinea: What do you mean ?

Antony: I think it's obvious our enemy is taking control of the wildlife. He has something that affects them, these crickets have managed to eat away at metal. This is not trivial.

Tinea: Oh you know, those little monsters can eat a lot of things. Trust me, I own some.

Antony:… Why do you-

Tinea: No more questions.

Antony: Right… Anyway, I couldn't have done much without your help today. We're not a team for nothing, don't you think ?

Silence was becoming a habit between the two, but this time around he could see a touch of regret and guilt in his partner's expression.

A benevolent smile spread over his face.

Antony: You don't have to trust me right away, but today I understood something important.

***

We were both chosen for one thing, we care about others. And I realized that we have that same desire to protect the people of this city.

We should let that bring us closer. "

Tinea had not responded to these words, but Antony had ended up accepting that he needed time to open up to him. And he would respect that until his last breath.

Yet these words had some effect on the cat.

Mr. Bug had left with his army of locusts. He had said he knew where to bring them so they wouldn't cause any more trouble.

Tinea's timer had elapsed but he remained there, sitting in the grass offering a piece of Camembert cheese to Plagg who loved it.

In the sky, he could see the few particles of magic moving towards the city. It was the first time he saw his partner's special ability in action.

Ahead of him, a tornado of particles descended from the sky, surrounding the space where the van was located. Making it reappear, as new as bought.

Tinea: Oh, can he even repair the damage from the cataclysm?

Plagg: Yep.

The young man brought his legs closer to his body, resting his head on his knees. A small smile on his lips.

Tinea: Maybe I was wrong about him.