Chickens

The young woman was desperately trying to hold the feathered animal in her arms.

Tinea: Do you need help ?

The young man was sitting on the edge of the wall, watching his adopted daughter trying to educate her pet chickens.

Calie: I'm doing fine-

Tinea: Press X to doubt.

He jumped in, catching the bird that had climbed and jumped off her shoulder, to try to run away.

Calie shook her shirt a bit, trying to remove the feathers.

Calie: They still have a hard time with us ...

Tinea: It must be said that we were not very gentle with them.

They both remember this summer...

***

Two months ago, Tinea and his friends visited Calie for the first time. She still lived in the west of France, where they had decided to spend their vacation.

The trip had been unusual, full of pitfalls but also good times.

They all remember that evening.

The air was fresh but nothing was nicer after this hot day, today was the day.

They had talked about it months in advance and the plan was finally on the way.

Hidden in the bushes, arrived by a path coming out of the forest, they are watching.

Calie and Tinea were the only ones who had the courage and the stupidity to go there.

Their eyes were looking for a certain dog.

Calie: He must be in front of the house ...

Tinea: Perfect.

The young man came out of the bush, covered with branches and thorns. But he was focused on his mission.

They both passed behind the wire mesh that separated them from the precious fowl.

Tinea: Tool.

Calie gave him a sharp little knife, Tinea concentrated on slicing through the fragile fence.

Tinea: Remember the plan, if we see a light come on in the house, we run.

He was meticulously diligent in his task, as if he had spent his life committing crimes.

The young woman looked at him with a touch of admiration, trying to keep an eye out as best as she could.

He finished cutting the wire mesh.

Tinea: Ok, ready? At three, we grab the most of them we can.

Calie: Let's go.

That evening, they had returned breathlessly with three chickens.

Their friends found it hard to believe, not being able to help but have a collective giggle in front of the poultry thieves.

Crazy laughters which were quickly interrupted by the worry of having problems.

But the two friends did not care, they put the poor animals in the trunk of his car, where they would be out of sight.

They bring a few pieces of bread to nibble and a bowl of water.

Kvéta and Wanda had tried to yell at Tinea about it.

But he was too busy looking at Calie, who was telling the rest of their friends laughing about their adventure.

He knew from his friend's expression that it was worth it.

Both knowing that the theft was revenge for an act that should have been worth much worse.

Happy to have brought this touch of happiness to the holidays.

***

Tinea: We should eat them, Chicken nuggies.

Calie: What ?! No ! I like my feathered friends !

He let out a small chuckle.

Tinea: I know you do.

Calie picked up from him the hen he had caught with his hands.

Tinea: I'm still impressed that the building lets you use their public garden to keep the chickens.

Calie: I didn't really give them a choice, plus people like them. It brings a little life to this ruined building.

Tinea: Students with depression like chickens, we should do a study on that.

Calie: I'll make it my thesis topic.

Tinea: Oh by the way, don't they lay eggs?

Calie: I don't know, maybe someone is stealing the eggs.

Tinea: How dare they steal something from what we stole.

Calie: I know right !

They were both cleaning the henhouse.

Tinea grabbed a bag full of seeds filled with vitamins, he leaned down a little seeing that the bag was open.

Tinea: It must have torn itself on the way ...

His eyes rested on small seeds, darker than the others.

He took them in his hand, inspecting them.

A strange energy emanated from it, the more it rested against his skin, the more it started to burn.

His nose filled with a foul smell of decomposition.

He threw them away, out of the hen pen.

A small shadow came out of the pocket, having witnessed the scene.

Plagg: Do you think it's in the food?

The young man was busy shaking his hand and trying to get the horrible scent out of his brain.

Tinea: I think that would be much easier to contaminate animals with food indeed...

He pushed Plagg back into his pocket, seeing Calie coming back to him.

Calie:... You ok?

Tinea: Yeah, There is something weird in the chicken's food. Let's go to the shop for another bag, I'll pay for it.

Calie: Oh, it's a shame those are big bags...

Tinea: It's okay, let's grab something to eat on the way too.