The Black Book / Part 2

Before Tinea could escape he already had a shotgun pointed at his temple. He was far from sure that his powers would help him survive from a bullet to the head.

Tinea: Can we, at least, talk about it ?

The man looked at him with anger.

" You are in my house, it's an invasion of private property. It would be self-defense if I shoot you. "

Antony stepped in, by not actually putting a foot in the house.

Antony: Please Sir, I know it looks bad... B-but we can settle it another way !

The man turned his head to the insect, looking annoyed.

"Stop with this look, I'm not going to shoot your stupid boyfriend."

Tinea: I'm not his fucking boy-

The owner of the house grabbed him by the collar, throwing him out the door like a true cat. The young man landed on his teammate, angwy.

"You two are dumb kids anyway."

Tinea tried to get up, quickly catched by his partner, who got into the negotiation first.

Antony: The bird on your roof ! It doesn't bother you ?

The man was already closing the door, but when he heard that question, he stopped. He stared a little into space and then turned to them.

" No."

Mr. Bug frowned, trying to make himself look stern.

Antony: Are you the one controlling all thoses animals?

Tinea: Do you think that if he was he would just say it.

" That explains a lot. Do you kids think that, if I could control this bird, you would still be here ? "

Tinea: Well maybe you're making it behave, so we think that you're telling the truth.

They both looked at each other angrily, Tinea hissing at him like a feral cat.

Antony: Okay, but if you're not... Why is it on your roof and why is it not attacking you ?

A touch of sensitivity and vulnerability crossed the old man's gaze. Weighing the pros and cons.

" I don't have a choice anyway, you won't leave me alone."

He stared at the wooden floor of the porch in silence.

" Believe me if you want. But I think this bird is my daughter. "

The two superheroes were silent for a moment, trying to understand the meaning of this sentence.

Tinea:... I know that I cannot judge, me who proclaims myself the father of everyone, but still.

Antony: Shh.

Antony saw rapidly how the man had changed comportement, looking much sadder and remorseful.

" My little Alyssa...

She loved reading about all the birds of the world... I still have her books... I... Had so much hope, I told myself she would be a renowned ornithologist... You know, kids...

When she... left us...

I felt like I had nothing left... The house was so empty without her... No laughter, no new drawings on the walls... "

The tone of the discussion had changed rapidly. But the man pulled himself together, not wanting to show the two apprentice thieves too many weaknesses.

" I can feel her, and I want that bird to stay here."

He closed the door.

The two young men looked at each other a little unsettled, getting up.

Antony: Well... That was something.

The cat walked away from the porch, looking up to the roof where the bird was still sleeping peacefully.

His eyes got lost in its plumage, hoping to see more than just a raptor.

Silence invading the dark forest.

His gaze fell to Antony who was looking at him, with a questioning look on his face.

Tinea:... Do you believe in ghosts?

***

On the outskirts of the city, in the cemetery, something is brewing.

Illegal entry and shovel blows in the fresh earth, a shadow moves in the crypt.

Clear brown hair sticking out of a black hood, a book under their arm and a shovel in the other hand.

Arriving at a grave with a family name they were way too familiar with. They put their book on the edge.

A black book, adorned with gold and velvet, with very strange designs.

One... Two... Three... The shovel digs out a little more each time, the task is painful and they take a moment to catch their breath.

With the coffin unearthed, they put their hand on the damaged wood. Their other hand grabbing the book, opening it to a specific page.

Tracing a sign with their fingers, reciting an incantation and suddenly a dark aura emanated from the coffin coming to caress the pages of the black book.

They whispered in their soft voice.

" I would never hurt you, Baby... It's just a safety measure..."