Chapter 52 - Uneasy

"That's all there is to report."

"Alright. Good work. This is all very good information. I'm sorry we couldn't have more survivors, and.. Sorry for the loss. Y'all take it easy for the rest of the week. No mission will be authorized to your squad. You guys have been working hard and I see that... Dismissed!"

"Thank you, General."
RJ responds after relaying our report from the mission.

We walk back as a group in silence. People are cheering for us and begin crowding. We just keep walking.

Once they find out we only saved one person, people will think negatively. They always do if we don't have an entirely successful mission. Especially like we have lately.

...

We are back and everyone is sitting in the living room. Everyone just looks at each other. Lizzie starts crying on my shoulder. Everyone hasn't seen her like this but maybe once or twice before.

"How did it happen?"

"He died saving Lizzie and me."

"Well, who's gonna be my partner now?"

"Really?! Are you fucking serious?"

"Lizzie, girl, settle down."

"No, Vadice! Riveck, you piece of shit, if you cared more about your partner maybe he would still be alive! You could've done so much to help us, yet you seemed so fucking laid back on that mission. Fuck you!"

"His fire exhausted after our skirmish with Claw the first time. He used all he had left to save Zsen."

"Shut the fuck up, freak. Zander should not have died. He didn't deserve to die!"

Lizzie pulls my arm and pulls me into our room.

"Lizzie."

"Nathaniel, I'm sorry! I never meant for you to think I was cheating. Kingston isn't my type at all and he makes me uncomfortable. He only talked to me to help me have control over Corruption. I know I told you that, but if you still think that way... then I'm not doing a good enough job reassuring you. He put his hands on me and I hated it. I snapped at him and told him that shit isn't okay regardless of if he was being friendly or not. He was explaining balance so I don't think he had bad intentions. But regardless, it was just bad timing. I made a mistake letting him in that room. Nothing bad happened but, I understand that was still wrong. I don't ever want you to feel that way again... I love you."

"I-I... I love you too, but, you don't need to apologize. Claw was getting in my head and manipulating me. You already went through this with me. I messed up."

"I don't care how you were acting during that mission. It's past me already. Everyone was under a lot of stress and it was hard, especially on you... I need you now, though. Zander... He's gone? You're sure without a doubt?"

"He died in my arms. He turned in an instant. He died for us."

"Fuck!"

She cries and puts her head in my chest and throws her arms around me. We sit on the bed. His death is tearing her apart. I feel tears running down my face as well.

I don't know why. He was an asshole to me for so long. My heart feels heavy and urges my eyes to water. He saved me... again.

The door opens as Rosalin peaks in. She walks in and locks the door behind her.

"Hey, Lizzie, sweetie."

She sits on the bed behind her and puts her arm around her.

"It's okay. He knew the risk he took. He wanted you to survive. He died a hero and we will make sure he is never forgotten."