Chapter 25 - Complications

We arrived at the location but the corrupted has gone off the radar. Something is off. There's corrupted ash everywhere from the soldiers who turned. We all split up into partners to find the target...

We roam around the wooded area next to a large mountain. I sure hope it's not up there...

"Corn, have you spotted it yet?"

"Nope. It seems to have gone somewhere harder to detect with our scanners. I'm thinking if there's a cave or something in that mountain, that's our best bet."

Damn. I was hoping that wasn't the case...

"Alright, Corn, let's just start searching the mountain."

"If you say so."

We proceed around the mountain and find nothing out of the ordinary-
"Nathan?"

"Yes, Corn, what's up?"

"I think I found the Corrupted."

I make my way toward Corn. He's not too far away from me, however, the direction he walked toward is pouring down rain and thunder!

"Corn! What's going on, how is it raining?"

"We're close Nathaniel... This Corrupted is stronger than we expected."

"What do you mean?"

"When the Corrupted is strong enough they possess the abilty to control the weather even through a time freeze. These are the kinds of corrupted only high tiers go up against. The crystal powers we have is the powers they use. The thing is, they are meant to have it. They use it to a much more powerful degree."

*Boom!*

"What was that?!"

There was a sudden explosion from the field just down past the mountain...

"Pozhar and Riveck... T-They're fighting the C-Corrupted."

"Why are they here?"

"We need to leave, Nathaniel... I can't contact the squad at this position!"

"Corn, we have to take out this Corrupted. It's our mission. The others will find there way here."

"That's not such a good idea, dude."

"We can easily get the jump on it."

"Dude! Are you nuts? Pozhar and Riveck, the two wanted criminals who tried to kill you, are right there!"

"It doesn't matter who it is. We have a common enemy! They need our help. They're still our squadmates."

"It's different, man... They... They will be fine."

I look toward them... Pozhar throwing flaming arms at the beast. Riveck shooting it down with lightning... The target doesn't seem affected...

Fuck...

I can't let them fight it alone...

"Dude, where are you going? Please, stop! You'll die!"

Corn grabs my arm...

"I'll be better off with your help, Corn."

He stares at me almost in tears seemingly. The rain pouring down his face makes it hard to tell...

He sighs...

"I am only going so I won't be the monster who left you for dead."

We make our way down toward the Corrupted. It's a twelve-foot. It has a large seven fingered claw and a cudgel for a hand in the other. It looks heavily armored in bone and not with thickness, but with multiple layers of disfigured bones.