Chapter 16 - Reputation

"Normally pick-up drivers use the Praga V3S model to do their pickups. They can do a ton of things with their trucks and pick a lot of different models but, overall, the Praga V3S is the most commonly used. Now, believe it or not, they use teleportation to transport us around."

"What?! How?"

"They use a material called Coruantic."

"Oh! I know what that is! But, how is that transporting us along with the vehicle?"

"Well, they create a portal."

"What do you mean?"

"Coruantic is a type of hollow crystal. Normally we crush them down to dust and put in our own materials to keep it stable. We use the dust by infusing it into things like our suits and weapons. At its purest crystal form, it can create a portal if the edge is broken off, allowing the inside of the crystal to release. Crystals all do different things depending on what color they are. These are the blue crystals. The front of these trucks are filled with these crystals and it takes about five minutes to place the portal and set coordinates. It's all automatically done with a single push of a button after you set your coordinates. However, it takes time to do it right. When it's done properly the portal should be shot right in front of the vehicle. Then they drive right through it and then, you should be at those coordinates. Of course, it's very dangerous as it can take you right into their realm if you don't do the proper procedure. I'm not exactly sure of what it is since I'm not a driver."

"Geez. That's very complicated, haha."

"Yeah, but it pays extremely well. A lot of people want the job so it's always filled. Once they accept you, you then have to go through some immense training. They get assigned a squad to pick up and in the end, it's well worth it. They also have a Shotgun and no, not the gun. It's a job title and, similar to roommates or normal partners, they're permanently partnered with drivers. The Shotgun protects the driver and the pickups in a worst-case scenario."

This place is really well built up. Everything has a system and everyone is dependent on it. I wonder how long has this place has been around?

"Of course, that's very unlikely to ever happen. As I said before, they go through immense training for this job."

.......

James gets out of the truck, I believe it's to get the next soldier. I look around and everyone here is talking having a good time. They all seem so comfortable and at ease. The guy next to me is sitting down, his face covered by a cap, probably meaning he's asleep. I shouldn't bother him but, I have questions and honestly, I need to get to know more people. I think it's easier if I ask him of all people because he's not in a conversation already. So, here goes nothing.

I tap his shoulder a couple of times. He groans and takes his hat off to look at me.

"What do you want?"

He's calm, thank goodness. I was sure he would get mad because I woke him up.

He has dark skin and he's buff. I can't say for sure, but, he's probably five foot, eight inches tall. He has black cornrows and a short beard. He has what looks to be golden yellow eyes! Weird.

"Sorry. I'm new here and I just wanted to ask a few things... If that's alright."

"Ight man, what's up?"

"Well... I guess I just wanna know how everyone's so comfortable with this? Like, our lives are in danger here. How are they allowed to do this?"

He chuckled and stares for a moment...

"You realize we protect the world, right? It's kinda something we can't just ask people to do. Nobody wants too... As for why everyone's so comfortable, is because of how they treat us. It's a rough system and a lot to learn but, whether you realize it or not, they try to give us the best life possible."