Chapter 40 - The Monster I've Become (Lizzie 2)

"So does everyone know?"

"No. Just Carter, Mallory, and I know."

"You know I'm no monster, right?"

"Come on, Lizzie. I have Corruption as well. Of course, I know you aren't a Corrupted. I just wish you told me."

"I was scared. It was for the best I didn't tell you. Imagine if Pamela told Mallory both of us were Corrupted. We would've both been chased out."

Why is he looking at me like that? Ugh!

"Look, I'm sorry. I tried to handle it on my own. I don't want to be a burden and I don't want to need help from others. It makes me feel weak."

"Asking for help doesn't make you weak. Needing someone doesn't make you weak. We all need that kind of guidance and assistance. It makes us who we are. Without others, we are nothing. It's what makes us human. We might as well be monsters ourselves without others in our lives."

*sighs.*

"I guess so... Hey. This is our stop. Er, would you mind if I walked you to your house?"

"Not at all, Lizzie."

We get off the truck and, finally, we're home. The General told us this next real-time week, the Warriors are on vacation and won't be going to the military. When we come back on the first frozen day, we are to prepare, and the second frozen day we will compete for our new Champion.

This will be a nice break for us, however, I can't help but feel the need to stay fit and train for this. I've been wanting to become Champion ever since the loss of Siberius. Poor Nathaniel was told he can't compete. Sorry I didn't argue for you, but you're competition, sweetie.

"So we'll finally get to go back to our normal lives for a week. Are you excited?"

"Hmm... Not really. I haven't even thought about everything I'm going to have to deal with this week. From my dad to work and school... It's just chaos to keep up with."

"Yeah... Well, if you ever need any help, I'm always here for you, y'know?"

"Thanks, but, I don't think you could really help. Don't even start with trying to help with my school work; I've seen your grades."

"Hey, come on! They aren't that bad."

"You get by with seventies, sweetie. Not happening."

He's so adorable.

"Maybe you were right."

"Right about what?"

"About Pamela. I feel better than I have been in a while. I was expecting them to do shit to us and make us undergo tests for our Corruption."

"I think I made it quite clear I could control it. Even if the General doesn't believe I could or whatever... He trusts me now. He knows my plan."

"You're plan? We kinda already performed it, didn't we? All we need to do is fill him in with all the information you gathered while you were out there."