Chapter 1 - The Project

*Beep-beep-beebeep!*

I shut off my alarm and open my eyes gradually.

Ugh! Another day of school. I have to prepare for all the humiliation and beatings I'm inevitably going to get. If I'm lucky I may get to keep my pizza at lunch today.

I get dressed in a black, button-up, dress shirt and black jeans. I like to wear dark clothes and I don't wanna look like a complete slob. I mostly just like how I look in these kinds of clothes...

I start walking to school and I notice it's very dark and even worse, it starts to sprinkle.

In an instant moment, it's gushing down rain. I guess, now, I have to sprint to school.

.......

Whew, I'm finally at school!

I'm exhausted and wet. Shit! All of my papers and books are ruined. Great.

I guess, at the very least, there was nothing important. It was just notes and the books I brought from home.

I can't get books from the school library because I'd have to go out of my way to get there. It'd add to my path of safety, otherwise known as the route I take to each class and restroom for the least amount of danger while still being on time.

Now, I need to make it to first period.

.......

I'm late! Everyone's already in first period. Damn, I'm never late.

I'm never too worried about my grades, and the teachers usually just give me the work instead of making me socialize because I tend to stay quiet and keep to myself. The work is all very easy for me since I already know all of the stuff they teach us from my reading. I only come to school because I have to at this point.

Woah... Hold up a second! Someones in my spot!

Nobody is in their normal seats!

"Nathaniel, glad you decided to finally join us."
The teacher sarcastically says.

"We're all doing buddy projects today and you'll be participating for your finals grade."

I can feel the whole class dreading my presence and worst of all, I think I see who my partner is.

"Now, Nathaniel, go sit with your partner,-"

This can't be happening! There's no way they would possibly put me with-

"-Lizzie! She's over there by the window in the corner."

Lizzie...

Of all of the people it could've been, why Lizzie?!

That's it! My life is actually over! She and I just don't work, it's just not okay.

"Miss, you can't be serious, right0?"

"Nathaniel, how dare you! Go sit down now, I don't want to hear any more of that nonsense from you, you hear me? Now go sit down and I'll elaborate on our project."

I go over to my seat and I'm terrified. My legs are shaking, my heart's racing, and my vision's getting blurry.

Lizzie's giving me the most disgusted look with so much anger on her face.

Okay. I sit down and take a deep breath...

As I sit here trying to pay attention, I'm freaked out and I can barely sit still.

Suddenly, she turns to me.

"Don't talk to me. Don't touch me. Don't even look at me. Don't even bother with this project, I'll do it all myself. I don't need you messing up my perfect grade for this class."