Chapter 15 - Settling In

"Hey, you need to wake up!"

"Ugh! What time is it?"

My mother is in the doorway rushing me to get up but... Why is she rushing me so much? There's no school today.

"It's time for you to get settled into your new home. Come on, I'll drive you."

Damn, I completely forgot! I grab my pillows and blankets... Right, my knife... I set it inside a suitcase with the rest of my clothes covering it. I take all my stuff to the car and then we're off.

The whole ride has been quiet so far. I've always avoided any conversation or interaction with my parents. Back when we first moved out, the neighbors greeted us and then discovered how close the neighborhood is with each other. Not a word goes by without everyone knowing. My dad would beat me when I was little and ever since the move my parents have just been distant. They left me alone and I left them alo-
"Nathaniel... I need to tell you a few things."

"Uhm... Okay, what is it?"

She's actually talking to me?

"I erm, I know I've not been the best mother to you. I'm sorry... I really do mean that. No matter what, you are my son. I neglected you and I wasn't ready for you. I know I made your life hell and I'm so sorry!"

She starts crying. I feel horrible, I don't know what to do...

"I've wasted every moment with you, Nathaniel. Now, I just want to see you be successful... without us. You do not need us just as you have never needed us before. "

She stopped tearing up so much... Where is this coming from. Wait! This has to be an act! She doesn't-
"So your father and I decided to try to give you the best life we can give without us. He could care less and I'm not just gonna tell you bullshit. He doesn't care, but I do... and I know it's too late."

"M-Mom."

"Here's this, you'll need it."

"Keys?"

She pulls into this huge house... Woah, wait a minute! I've been here before... This is Lizzie's street! Is this my house!?

"This is your new home. Also, there's a bike in the garage if you need it, and, even better... a car! It's there for er... whenever you decide to get your license."

"Mom! I don't know what to say!"

"Please don't say anything. It's the least I could do, really. I'm sorry for everything. We will be paying the bills for your house and it's under you're name... Just stay away from me and dad. I had to convince him to even pay for all of this, but to us, it's less than pocket change. That's the agreement we had to make with him. As long as you stay away, we'll pay your fees until further notice. Well, now it's goodbye."

"Mom... Thank you! Just promise me if you ever have a child again, you'll give them the world."

She starts tearing up again...

"Of course!"

I go to hug her... I know she's not been a great mother and she never took good care of me... But she's trying now... And it's better late than never.

"Okay, now leave. I feel horrible and I just want you to be off towards better things."

"Thank you for doing this for me, it means a lot."

"Everything you'll need is inside, all of your information and that kind of stuff as well."

I approach the door and take a deep breath in, carrying my two big suitcases...

"Oh! Hey! That friend of yours who took you home after you blacked out the other day... Yeah, I think she lives down the street. You should go let her know you're moving in here. I think she likes you, y'know."