Chapter 21 - Publicity

The month has finally passed. Erm, two months technically. I trained with everyone, starting with Pico.

Week one, he trained me with a lot of street-style hand-to-hand combat.

Week two was with Zander. Naturally, he pushed me way past my abilities and absolutely tore my muscles.

Week three, I trained with Narissa. None of it was physical and she taught me a lot about my spiritual energy. She taught me a lot about peace and hatred and seemed to be watching me close as though I were being suspicious of something.

Week four, I got to train with Holly and she taught me a lot about the Military and the systems of everything. She also taught me a lot of basic tactics to use when with a partner.

Week five, I trained with Becca. She actually showed me a lot about technology. She taught me the parts of guns and weapons and how they operate. She taught me all the things we could do with the suits and she also taught me how and where to spend my units for my weapons. The last day I trained with her, she took me to this place where they put you through a simulation. She took me to this particular one that shows you how it feels to become Corrupted. It was horrible. I felt like I lost complete control of my body while they made me move and do things I didn't want to do. I had full consciousness throughout it and it was horrifying.

Week six, I trained with Rosalin. She showed me around to see all the fun things to do. Some of those so-called fun things being arenas. We did a couple of team fights and free-for-alls. I guess it was pretty fun. I got more used to regenerating, but getting shot isn't very fun.

Week seven, I trained with Vadice. She was just as bad as Zander and forced me through constant workouts. To give her credit, she did take me out to eat after the day was over most days.

Finally, week eight was with Siberius. He taught me how each and every event works and what I'd do in every role. He also taught me all of the rules for each event and how each system works there.

Each weekend, everyone was together and they'd teach us how to work together as a team. We actually worked really well together! It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Only a couple of bumps along the way, but, mostly everything has been calm. Even at school things have been pretty peaceful. Zander hasn't gone after me once, not even a single interaction. Lizzie still avoids me, but she has said hello to me every now and then. People, in general, have left me alone. I finally feel like I fit in...

It's Monday morning and today we are finally getting our rank. I'm pretty excited about this actually. I feel ready! I'm sitting out behind the school waiting for the first period to start.

.......

*Beeboop.*

I start making my way toward the first period...

Oh no. What is Zander doing outside of my classroom? He's talking to Lizzie.

Shit! He saw me. I need to get away. Fuck, people are moving everywhere and I can't go anywhere besides straightforward. Zander and Lizzie walk hastily toward me. There's no way to avoid them.

"Ack!"

Zander grabbed me by the neck then Lizzie proceeded to grab me by the arm.

Where are they taking me? Is Lizzie back to her old ways? Oh no! She isn't with Zander again, is she?

We finally reach a secluded corner and Lizzie turns me around to face her.

"Okay, Nathaniel. You aren't supposed to be apart of this but, we decided to bring you along."

"Wait, what? What do you mean?"

"There's an escaped Corrupted around the school and we've gotta take care of it."