Chapter 22 - Fenge

"Finally! I'm home."

After I found out about the footage of Lizzie's breakup being released, I began to notice everyone looking at me differently. Everyone was mostly looking confused... Ugh! I don't know. I've mostly been keeping my mind on Lizzie. I still don't know anything about her condition. I sigh as I lie down. I feel anxiety hit me just thinking about Lizzie... I wish there was a way to just go see her and know that she's okay...

I splash water on my face and look into the mirror. I have changed so much since I first arrived in the military. I have also seen a lot of people change in my life and met so many amazing people... I've grown close to them... It feels... It feels like a family. A good one. We all get along but not many of us are alike whatsoever...

.......

Midnight! Finally.

Any minute now.

Come on...

Ahah! There they are to pick me up.

As I get inside the back of the truck. James isn't here. Damn, I always forget. I feel a wave of sorrow hit me. I feel like things are falling apart.

I sit alone. It's so odd. With all of the commotion and people talking and truck noises. It feels so silent. It's been about ten minutes. Why hasn't Lizzie been picked up?

Right. I forgot that too.

Fuck.

"Yo, Nathaniel right?"

"Marcus? What's up?"

Marcus is talking to me. I thought for sure he hated me after the last time I saw him.

"So, uh... What's your rank?"

"Oh, I'm unranked still."

"Ah. That'd explain it. This squad, Delta F76 Red-orange, is questioning why you're still here. A couple of days ago they had your set of recruits ranked. You're supposed to be ranked already."

"Lizzie and I haven't heard anything yet about it."

"Oh, then I guess you're the last group... I was wondering because, for a moment, I thought I wasn't the only one."

"What do you mean, not the only one?"

"I'm apart of the Special Forces squad. We don't have a pickup for our squad. They put us with whatever pickup is nearby. Delta squad F76 has pickups next door to me so I come with them."

"Delta squad... What does the delta part mean?"

"That's the driver's pickup name. They are assigned a name for their pickups. So when the squad is being picked up by a certain driver, the squad adds that to the front of their name. Let's just say we were being picked up by drivers named Echo. This squad, during pickups, would be named Echo squad F76... I know it's extra and stupid. However, it's supposed to keep everyone organized and in order."

"Oh. You said you're apart of the Special Forces squad. Do you know the girl that goes by the name Pozhar?"

"Her... Yeah, she works with us. Why, what do you wanna know?"

"She said some weird shit to me. It's been kinda bothering me ever since."

"Wait, she talked to you?"

"Yeah. She was with this guy, Riveck. He had this magical force field keeping the guards out. There were burning bodies and they were just sitting there. It felt like they were waiting for me. She had my knife and... I don't know. She told something about not letting the fire consume me. Like it was some sort of big riddle."