Chapter 13 - The Show Must Go On

For this chapter, there will be many transitions from points of views. At times you'll be reading Nathaniel's, others will be Lizzie's. But you will also experience the audience's perspective as well on occasion with the announcer narrating. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy the chapter.

"Lower the gates!"

The steel spikes come down from around me. I look up and the holographic sky starts to form, causing the audience to no longer be seen. Now, it actually feels like I'm in a desert! As the ceiling closed up, I can no longer hear the crowd nor the announcer.

I take my first few steps out and look around. My hearts racing and I'm starting to feel light-headed. Okay, over there looks like a place I can lie low and think of a plan.

I run up this slope and crouch behind these rocks that go no higher than my knees. Whew... Okay, breathe Nathaniel. I can get a decent view of the land from here and if I'm lucky, I'll find her position before she finds mine.

Whew, alright. I need to get my M4A1 out. Whew. Just like she taught me. I swipe the tablet on my thigh and the M4A1 develops in my hands. This is so amazing and so satisfying...

Fuck!

I've tried to be strong and avoid thinking about it... But I don't know if I can do this. I can't hurt Lizzie. I mean, I understand she will come back and it's fine... But I'm still trying to kill her, and I can't do that! Ugh! I just feel sick thinking about it. But what choice do I have?

Whew...

Alright, let's see. I look over the stones with my gun drawn... I don't see her anywhere but I do see this tall rock formation with a huge hole in the middle. I think I can climb to the top of that but I wouldn't have any cover... I'll stay here for now.

Grr! Where are you, Nathan? Let's finish this quick! Let me get to higher ground. Ah, here's a good spot. Now let's see, he's probably either running around like an idiot or he's camping in spot scared shitless.

"Interesting start we have here. Both combatants taking this very cautiously, examining their surroundings. How about we spice things up a bit shall we!"

*The crowd roars.*

"It'd be a shame if a dust storm hit, hahaa!"

Argh! What the hell? Seriously, come on! Okay, no problem. This isn't a big map, just plenty of structures with a tall rock formation in the middle. I could probably see everything up there but, there'd be no cover. Hmm, I'll make my way up there actually!

Ack! Fuck! Sand's getting in my eyes. They can fuck with the environment too? Shit! I can't see anything! Grr! Okay, I need to get somewhere different! The sand's blowing right at me... I can't see anythi-Wait a sec! A tunnel... Hmm, this could be bad positionally, but it'll get me out of this sandstorm. It goes underground and it's just a straight tunnel to the other side... Wait! This could give me a flank on her if this leads to her spawn cage!

Where the fuck is this prick at... Aha! Finally, something to work with. Footprints! Hmm... He was here for a while before he moved. The is sandstorm is bad here. He must've tried to get out of this. Let's see where he went.

"What's this? Z719 has caught herself a trail. The game begins and her hunt is on!"

*The crowd proceeds to rile up.*