Chapter 14 - Last Night

*Yawns.*

Hmm?! Oh right...

I wake up laying in bed with Lizzie cuddled up against me, snuggling my chest.

It's weird but, I like this. She's so calm and peaceful.

Ahh, my heart-
"You're hearts racing again."

I nervously laugh.

"Yeah. I'm sorry."

"It's okay Nathaniel. Was able to tell that you were awake. Just don't make it weird. Let it remain unnoticed and I'll act all innocent, as though I don't know what's going on in your head."

"Uh, erm... Okay."

It gets awkward and we stay quiet for a couple of minutes...

"Nathaniel. We need to talk."

"What's up?"

I gulp, worried about what she's about to say. Maybe she's feeling the same way I feel. I feel like I like her, but, I'm not fully confident that I really do.

"Things have been so hectic for me lately. I don't want you to think there's anything between us. I don't like you, at all."

Damn! What the hell was I thinking?

"However, I don't want to hate you. It's more effort forcing myself to despise you and it stresses me out just trying to keep that up. Maybe I have a soft spot for you... But I want you to know, I'm not going to treat you any different once we're home. Please, avoid me. Not because I dislike you, but, because it'll just make everything easier for both of us. Especially when Zander and I are officially done. I have a reputation to keep and I have a lot of things on my mind and stuff to worry about. When you're around, I have to concern myself with so much more and I don't know how to react to your presence and it jus-"

I wrap my hand around her arm to settle her down.

"Lizzie, I get it. Everything has been such a mess. More than likely, it's made us react differently toward each other than we would under normal circumstances. It may have given us... well, false emotions."

I say this while trying so hard not to have tears burst from my eyes. She doesn't feel the same...

Ugh! What am I saying? I don't like her! She's done nothing but ruin my life. She's trying to get inside my head; she's making me feels things I don't truly feel. She's just an act.

"Nathaniel, you don't... Do you, uhm."

"What is it, Lizzie?"

She lets out a long sigh and looks at me.

"What are we, Nathaniel?"

She rests her head back on my chest.

"What do you mean?"

"Why is it that when I finally build myself up and convince myself you're nothing to me, I just end up finding it harder to push you away?"

"Lizzie... I... What are you saying?"

"Dumbass! I'm saying that I- I feel like... Nevermind! This is stupid. It's like you said. We're just confused right now... At least, I am."

She sits up and-Gah! What is she doing?!

She put her leg over to the other side, making herself sit on my lap! What is she thinking?! My hearts pounding out of my chest and my face is getting bright red. I can feel my body burning with heat and, well, I'm excited. B-But I feel terrified!

She grabs my right wrist-Gash! She's pulling my hand toward her, Erm... Chest...

Wait... She's not making me do that! She's showing me her heartbeat.