Chapter 36 - Moralities

"Hello?"

"Yo, Corn. In here. Wassup?"

Corn sighs...

"Nothing much, I guess."

"You're not too thrilled about the job they assigned you, huh?"

"No, not really... I don't really like anything they're doing right now."

"What? Why not?"

"Don't get me wrong, it's how they chose to do it. I mean, this is stupid. If it were up to me, I wouldn't turn to do criminal acts. We should be using you out there as an image. Holly and Joceline aren't going to impact anyone and they'll just end up being killed."

"Woah, don't say that."

"I'm serious. Imagine the mark you'd make. People might fear you at first but, with the right amount of people to see you for who you are... we could change all of their minds about you. Honestly, I thought everyone would turn to the Dwaljitu."

"The who?"

"The hippies of the military."

"..."

"What?"

"The hippies of the military."

"..."

"Corn!"

"Yes?"

"What does that mean?"

"Oh. They are the people here who- How the heck do you still know nothing about this place?"

I stare at him with an exasperated look...

"Sorry... The Dwaljitu basically believe that all Corrupted are still humans and that killing them is killing our own kind. Everyone thinks they're stupid but, I think it's a good theory; It's more than anything the military has come up with."

"Well, aren't the Corrupted just mindless monsters? All they do is kill humans, so how could they still be human?"

"Well, maybe people haven't been strong enough to control the Corruption. Maybe you and Quade have been the only ones competent enough to control it. Maybe, everyone is still conscious just not in power of their own body."

Lyra told me this before. She had told me something about Charlette and how she still felt her existence... Oh yeah! Lyra said she wondered if Charlette was still conscious and begging her to not shoot...

Damn...

I forget how horrible some of the people's stories are here.

"That's an alarming thing to think about, Corn."

"Yeah, it is. But, it could very well be true. We'd just be killing them instead of helping."

"Maybe... Maybe we should get their attention. It beats sitting around here doing nothing, doesn't it?"

"Hmm... I don't know. When I do this type of stuff, it usually doesn't turn out very well."

"What do you mean?"

"Nobody ever likes my ideas and usually they all  turn out to be stupid."

"How is this stupid? Don't answer that! You aren't stupid. You've never really said a stupid thing around me. If anything, you're creative. You always have ideas and come up with shit when we can't figure it out."

"Er... I don't know. We shouldn't disobey Lizzie. She's kinda scary."

"I'll deal with her."

"What about the entire plan?"