Chapter 44 - A Champion Is Born (Pt 1/2)

"They're here, Nathaniel. Let's go!"

We didn't go to school for a whole week! It's been such a thrill and has given me such an adrenaline rush, but Lizzie had been making me work out with her and study how the upcoming event works.

Turns out the whole event is actually sort of like a festival. People have shops and games to play and there are also arenas open for prizes. There's tons of food and all sorts of things to do. We are going to be the main event of course... Well, the Warriors, excluding me.

"Ight. I'm right behind ya, Lizzie."

It's gonna be an exciting day. I can't wait to see who gets named Champion. Everyone is so deserving of such a role; each of them are very talented soldiers.

People have been voting on our computers provided with our rooms with direct links to webpages. So far the top three expected to win is...

|3rd - P160/Shadow Walker - 400,672 upvotes|
|2nd - Z666/Grand-Axe-Kicker - 549,101 upvotes|
|1st - Z719/Lizzie Zaeva - 1,009,374 upvotes|

Wow. Lizzie's pretty damn popular... Why am I surprised? Lizzie seems to be so much stronger than I've ever seen her. However, she seems to always be holding back every time I've seen her fight.

Zander seems to use melee more than actual guns and that's absolutely insane to me. He says he has more control over Corrupted and it's so much more viable for him. I guess he couldn't be wrong if he's made it this far.

Pico has this Shadow-Step power in the arena that I'm pretty sure drives the crowd wild. I'm excited to see that in action again.

As for the others such as Corn, I think people will be surprised by them. They haven't got the attention as Lizzie and Zander have.

"Nathaniel, I'm gonna go straight to practice once we get to the base. I'm not allowed to train with any of the others so I think you'll probably be my best opponent."

"Uhm... So you want me to be your training partner? Who else would we have on our teams?"

"We will all be fighting alone in a free-for-all after some hyped-up tests and warm-ups for the crowd."

"But the arena only goes down to 3v3."

"Ugh, you're stupid. We have private arena's in our barracks. I want to fight you alone."

"Oh... I don't know if i'm a good training partner then."

"Shut up. You could use the practice as well. No mission you get will be easy from now on."

......

"Alright. So, to the barracks we go, huh?"

She gets out with no hesitation and pulls me with her.

...

We arrived and we begin to set up.

"Okay, one last time so you don't forget. Rules are simple; first to five wins, blood levels go down to twenty percent until respawn, matches will restart and begin again in three seconds after the last person is standing. Of course, there will only be us two so whoever kills the other first. Each player also gets a single thirty-second timeout call if requested."

"Got it. So, I make my way to my transportation-pod?"

"Yep! Don't disappoint me today, got it?"

"Heh, yeah."

...

I'm trembling uncontrollably as I pull myself into my transporter. And so we begin...

Whew... I've got this.