Chapter 20 - Zander

This is it. Today is the day... Come on man, you've got this! Fuck. Why am I so nervous?

Zander is approached by the sound of leaves crunching as Lizzie steps closer.

"Hey."

Lizzie says holding back a smile...

"Lizzie, you made it! Here, come sit with me. It's about to start."

"What's about to start?"

Zander scoots to the right side of the bench. He pats the space next to him, encouraging her to sit.

"Trust me, it's a surprise."

"Zander, look. I'm really stretching it coming out here at one in the morning. I had important things to do today and now my dad is pissed off at me for this. The least you could do is tell me why we're here."

"If I tell you it would ruin it. Just trust me this once and you won't regret it."

Lizzie sighs and joins Zander on the bench...

"You know I trust you. I wouldn't be near you if I didn't. Just... don't try anything stupid."

Lizzie and Zander sit in awkward silence for a couple of minutes...

Fuck! Hurry up! What's taking so long? It's supposed to have happened by now. Shit, okay. Come on man, talk to her.

"So uh... You had plans?"

Lizzie grows irritated and impatient...

"I'm this close to leaving, Zander."

"No, please! Just wait a little while longer, please."

Lizzie shakes her head as she sighs...

"I had a meeting to go to with my father. Everyone is kinda expecting me there but, I convinced my father to let me stay with you for the day."

"Oh! Well then, I promise this will be way better than whatever you had planned."

"Yeah, I'm not so sure I wanna stay much longer. I can still go back you know?"

Just a moment after, a beautiful meteor shower passes over. Tens upon tens of meteors shoot past the sky. They seem so close that it looks almost as though you could touch them.

"Woah... Zander... i-is this is what you wanted to show me?"

"Heh... Yeah."

After almost an hour had passed of peaceful silence, relishing one another's presence...

Lizzie leans into Zander...

"Thank you, Zander... This was amazing! They were so beautiful."

"Lizzie, erm, there was something else."

"What is it?"

"I'm glad you saw the beauty in this... I was really hoping you would. I wanted you to be able to compare exactly to how I feel... To what I-"