Taro Leaf

CHAPTER TEN

SUMMER OF 1995

Olivia’s sister, Pris, once asked her, if a magical jinn were to grant her one power, what would she wished for? She wanted the ability to fly. She always imagined herself racing with the birds and feeling the wind beneath her.

That night when Ate Umi came to get her, she thought her dream would be realized. It did. Only it wasn’t like she expected.

To her horror, Umi jumped out of the window, carrying her, without any warning. Olivia thought she was about to die when they began to fall fast.

Nasa second floor lang ang kwarto nya pero mataas pa rin ito. Would the rose bushes below enough to catch them? She doubted that.

Olivia waited for her body to hit the thorny flowers but to her astonishment, her fall suddenly stopped.

She began to relax and became aware her face was buried against Umi’s clothes, her arms tightly around her neck.

“Did I scare you?” Umi teased.
Nag-angat ng ulo nya si Olivia at nagtama ang kanilang mga mata. Umi’s eyes danced with amusement. Her lips were curved into a michievous smile.

Kakalas na sana si Olivia sa pagkakayakap sa kaibigan nang mapansing halos kapantay lang nila ang bintana ng kwarto nya. Ibig sabihin…dahan-dahang tumingin sa ibaba si Olivia at nadiskubreng nakatayo si Umi sa isang napakalaking dahong halos sing-laki ng twin bed nya, na nakalutang sa hangin.

After the storm died down, the stars feasted on the sky and the moon shone brighter that night, bathing the surrounding with light, enough for Olivia to confirm they were indeed standing on an enormous taro leaf.

“You have nothing to fear.” Umi gave her an assuring smile and slowly took Olivia down.

Napakapit pa rin si Olivia sa kamay ni Ate Umi dahil baka gumewang o mabutas ang dahon. Pero ni hindi gumalaw ang dahon kaya medyo nakahinga sya nang maluwag. Unti- unti ring kumalma ang kalooban nya at napalitan ng excitement.

Marahan nyang hinampas sa tagiliran si Ate Umi. “You are mean,” sumbat ni Olivia rito.

“You are adorable,” natatawang sabi ni Umi, na mukhang naligayahan sa ginawang pananakot nito. Pinisil nito ang magkabilang pisngi nya saka ito yumuko para yakapin sya. “Sasama ka pa ba sa’kin?”

“Isusumbong kita kay Lola pag inulit mo yun,” salubong ang kilay na sabi ni Olivia.

Umi laughed and sat indian style on the leaf. “Come here.” She patted the space next to her.

Umakbay sa kanya si Ate Umi nang umupo sya sa tabi nito. Dahan-dahan namang umangat ang dahon hanggang sa lumagpas sa bubong ng brick house, hanggang sa pakiramdam ni Olivia ay maaabot na nya ang buwan.

Kitang-kitang nya ang kabuuan ng farm, ang mga puno at pananim nila, maging ang mga mangilan- ngilang kabahayan. Nililipad-lipad ng hangin ang buhok nya at nanunuot naman ang lamig sa sweater at pajama nya. Ngunit hindi alintana iyon ni Olivia dahil masayang- masaya sya lalo na nang tuluyang lumipad ang dahon at lumibot sa kapaligiran.

Olivia squealed with delight when they flew faster. She was no longer afraid, for she knew her friend got her back. Umi kept Olivia warm when it was too cold.

Her eyes were wide in wonder when they flew over the mountains and over rivers and forests. She felt free.

There was a moment Olivia got frightened when two flying female creatures with bat- like wings flew on each side with them. After greeting Umi in a friendly way, the creatures soared ahead of them and disappeard into the night.