Aboard the Sea Dragon

CHAPTER TWENTYSIX

SUMMER OF 2005

Faster than the speed of light, the wind arrow struck the witch’s right arm. Olivia was disappointed. She was aiming at the enemy’s heart. Her body was flooded with relief when the long talons relased Erin.

Agad na lumapit si Olivia sa nanghihina at duguang si Erin. Pilit itong bumangon sa pagkakahiga. Ibinaba nya ang sandata saka tinulungang umupo si Erin.

Pumunit sa madilim na kakahuyan ang malakas na ungol ng nasaktang mangkukulam. Hindi nito nagawang tanggalin ang pana, na mas lumalalim pa habang ginagalaw. Nasugatan man, may lakas pa itong lumaban gamit ang kuko. Bago pa man nito magawang pahabain ang mga iyon, mabilis na pumulupot sa katawan nito ang mga makakapal at punong-puno ng tinik na kulay berdeng baging.

Gumuhit ang galit sa mga mata ni Kitara nang tila naparalisa ito.

“Move or I’ll cut your neck.” A very good- looking man with messy hair appeared beside Kitara and whispered, his blue eyes flashed dangerously. The blade of his head-hunting axe threateningly touch the witch’s neck. He looked like she just stepped out of a GQ magazine on his three- piece black Armani suit, and decided to go witch hunting.

“You’re late.” Miranda glared at the man, who suddenly grinned, never taking his axe off Kitara. “You did it on purpose.”

“Sandrea and I were just in time,” the axe- bearing man removed his weapon from the enemy and walked good- naturedly towards Olivia, who had the almost unconscious Erin leaned on her, “to see this beautiful girl utilized my dear sister’s bow and arrow. My name is Boris, by the way.” He flashed Olivia a dazzling smile, took her hand and kissed it. “You are so beautiful and fierce. You are a sight to behold.”

Binitawan ng lalaki ang kamay ni Olivia nang may tumulak dito nang malakas, muntik na itong sumalpok sa puno. Natatawa lang nitong inayos ang suot nito.

Isang napakaganda at matangkad na babaing nakasuot ng mahaba at kulay aquamarine na summer dress ang lumitaw sa gilid ni Olivia. Ang kulay itim at pilak na buhok nitong hanggang balikat ay tila kumikinang sa kintab.

“It’s really shining,” Olivia corrected herself internally.

Ignoring Olivia, the beautiful woman knelt beside Erin, who tried to speak. “Ssshh…save your breath.” An emerald crusted chalice, half-filled with red liquid, suddenly materialized on her hand, and had Erin drink it.

“T-Thanks, Sandrea.” Color slowly crept back on Erin’s ashen face.

“Kayo na ang bahala sa mangkukulam. Siguraduhing ligtas na makakauwi ang mga bata.” Sandrea’s voice was clear and commanding. Everyone, even Haraya’s pack, regarded her with high respect. Tumingin naman ito sunod kay Olivia. “You are coming with me. Using that weapon must have drained your strength. I’m surprised you’re still alive.”

Sasabihin sana ni Olivia na maayos ang kalagayan nya at si Erin na lamang ang pagtuunan ng pansin, nang biglang magdoble ang paningin nya. Nawalan ng lakas ang buong katawan nya hanggang sa unti- unting pumikit ang mga mata nya.

There was a combination of cold and warm liquid trickling down Olivia’s throat. It was sweet and refreshing. Watermlelon juice. Pleasant sensation slowly trailed on her body, giving back its strength.

A cold and warm wind kissed her cheeks. The first thing she saw when she opened her eyes, was the torquoise blue ocean and dolphins swimming ahead of the ship she was on.

Wait, ship? A galleon, her mind said as her eyes wandered from the large white and blue green sails, to the sleek hardwood the sailing ship was made of. There’s a huge flag of kampilan with swirling water around its blade, flapping against the wind.