Kontaminados

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

SUMMER OF 1995

Kontaminados? Olivia had a lot of questions but it wasn’t the right time to ask. Ate Rhoda didn’t care to elaborate for her green eyes stayed focused on the black creatures.

“Hindi kita hahayaang masaktan, Olivia.”

Then a double-headed silver spear magically appeared on her right hand. Ate Rhoda twirled the weapon expertly. She looked formidable and it made the black beings step back slightly.

While spinning, the silver spear released a green energy that struck all of the Kontaminados at once and dissolved them right on the spot.

Ate Rhoda didn’t waste time, still carrying Olivia, she went on running. But after few steps, more Kontaminados surfaced and blocked their path. There were fifteen or twenty more surrounding them.

Bumuntong- hininga si Ate Rhonda. “Dito ka muna.”

Ibinaba nito si Olivia, na manghang nanood habang unti- unti syang pinalibutan ng mga baging na tumubo mula sa lupang kinatatayuan nya hanggang sa magmistula itong kuwadradong hawla. Napapalibutan din ito ng kulay berdeng enerhiya.

Ilan sa mga Kontaminados ang tumilapon nang may malakas na hangin ang humampas sa mga ito. Kasabay niyon ang mabilis na pagsugod ni Umi gamit ang mahabang espada. Lumukso sa tuwa ang puso ni Olivia nang makita ang kaibigan. Sa presensya palang nito, alam nyang ligtas na sya.

May ilang Kontaminados ang nagtangkang lumapit kay Olivia ngunit agad itong napigilan ni Ate Umi.

Mabilis ang kilos ng dalawang babae para puksain ang mga itim na nilalang, na tila walang katapusang nagsisulputan sa kawalan.

Napasigaw si Olivia nang may isang Kontaminados ang sumubok sirain ang hawlang kinaroroonan nya. Ngunit tumilapon ito nang tamaan ng berdeng kapangyarihang nagmula sa hawla. At agad na naglaho ang nilalang nang saksakin ito ni Ate Umi ng espada.

Ate Umi’s whole body was covered in bright light and her eyes were red with rage. She was like an avenging angel who came down from heaven ready to slaughter demons. Beautiful and dangerous. Her movements were graceful. Her sword was like a part of her body.

Ate Rhoda and Umi were fierce warriors. Both determined to defend her. The spear and the sword brought demise to the black creatures. Every thrust and slash yielded strength.

But no matter how fast Umi and Rhoda were, the Kontaminado’s were endless. After one of them died, it seemed two or more would appear.

Olivia could already see exhaustion from the two warrior’s face, especially Umi.

The already raging wind howled more. The trees were almost bent, some of them already uprooted. Although the strong breeze didn’t penetrate her protective cage, Olivia felt extreme fear ran through her veins.

Something or someone menacing was coming. Umi and Rhoda sensed it too, for both stood infront of her in a defensive stance. The remaining Kontaminados suddenly disappeared.

The trees few meters ahead of them started to wither. The leaves turned dry and fell from the trees, swept away by the wind.

The moist soil cracked from being wilted. Everything around them seemed to be dying. It was like life was being literally siphoned away.

Umi forcefully struck her sword on the ground. A barrier of swirling wind enclosed the three of them.

Olivia saw a lone figure walking towards them. It was a Kontaminado but this one was taller and more mascular than the others. His body was darker. While the others were faceless, the newcomer has pair of red eyes and a sinister smile plastered on his lips, revealing sharp teeth.