Island in the Sky

CHAPTER FORTYONE

2005

Olivia felt so guilty. She was responsible for what happened to Archiel. The Kampilan took the dark liquid for her. She silently prayed, while running for her life, that it could be reversed.

She remembered Aurora being purified by Erin’s bow and arrow. It might work on Archiel too.
Why didn’t she think of that earlier?

But with Verona watching, Olivia might not be able to do it. Besides, she was too weak to summon Erin’s weapon. She needed to regain her strength. She must get somewhere safe and stay hidden.

Naramdaman nya ang paggalaw ng hugis kabibeng pendant ng kwintas na suot nya sa loob ng blouse habang tumatalilis palayo. Ibinigay ito ni Archiel noong nakaraang araw bilang proteksyon. Galing ito kay Sandrea. Darating ang Anak ng Kalikasan sa oras na nasa peligro sya.

Mula nang mag-usap sila ni Sandrea, hindi na isinusuot ni Olivia ang relong bigay ni Erin kapag hindi sila nito magkasama. Ginawa nya iyon para maiwasang dumating ito kapag naramdaman nitong nasa panganib sya.

Olivie made a promise she’d call Sandrea if she’s in a life and death situation. But there’s a raging storm in the Celebes Sea that needed to be stopped or a lot of people would die.

She had to deal with Archiel and Verona herself.

Olivia studied La Naturaleza Watershed’s map during the reforestation planning. She’s somewhat familiar where to go. Whereas some parts were deforested, there were still areas abundant with trees.

She entered a dense part of the forest. The thick trunks, leaves and tall trees were a perfect cover for Olivia. She slowed down when her foot was caught on a vine and almost fell.

With the sun hidden behind the clouds, it made her surrounding very dim. She felt torns scratched her arms, hoping it wouldn’t poison her.

She stopped to rest beneath an Acacia tree. If a Mandurugo wasn’t after her, she would have found the place serene. She sat on a thick root, catching her breath.

Olivia envied how little herons jump from one branch to another, oblivious of the danger she was in. She almost fled when a bush nearby moved and revealed an equally surprised dark brown deer when it saw her.

Not a lot of people often wandered on that part of the watershed but the animals were surprisingly not afraid of her. The deer even made eye contact, studying Olivia. Its eyes were curious and unbothered of her presence.

Few Japanese Sparrowhawk flew above her head and chirped cheerily. Something small and round fell on her head then rolled on the ground. She picked up the red unfamiliar berry. Two more fell from above. The sparrowhawks chirruped like they were urging her to eat the berries.

Olivia took a bite. Sweetness filled her mouth instantly as she could feel strength returning to her body. After eating all three, she felt like she could run a marathon.

“Thank you,” she whispered smiling at the birds.

Olivia wanted to keep the environment safe for the animals and preserved nature. Seeing them without being scared of her reminded her how much she yearned to get rid of the Kontaminados.

Careless people unconciously created the black creatures. She made it her mission to spread awareness. She couldn’t do that if she’s dead.

Short term goal, she needed to survive first. She had to get out of there alive.

Olivia didn’t plan to abandon Archiel either. The Kampilan protected her, in return Olivia would save her. But how?

Archiel was far stronger and faster. She had to trick her. She’d only get one chance at firing the arrow. If she failed, she’s doomed.