Pete

Each step ahead physically, was one step back emotionally.

Someone was pulling me back.

A divine, powerful and enchanting light.

I could see my long shadow on the way ahead.

Whoever it was, wanted to follow me to the borders.

It did.

When I drove out of the space in the jungle, it heard Misty's scream just like I did.

It haunted both of us through the journey.

We were mourning over this defeat. Lycans' didn't win. The border did.

The forest of densely growing pine and spruce continued.

Darkness followed and so did the rain.

The light didn't leave my back. As if it was sitting on my shoulders. I could feel this huge burden.

Eva cried. Keira slept through the path. Thomas stayed quiet. Father was lost. Probably wondering how Misty was doing what he could never.

Raising her mate's pup that wasn't her own.

While I was numb. Unable to feel the pain in my wounds, knowing I had clawed my sister's mate. Again. Another time. Same sin.

It was uncontrollable. It was hard not to hit him for how confident he looked.

It felt wrong. I was wrong. I was pathetic.

He was right on his path while I poured out my guilt by hurting him.

Misty was clever enough to understand it. I could see it in her eyes. She was concerned more for her mate, than for me. The guilt was there all over her face for trying to run away without telling her mate.

No matter how different he was. Way too different than the man of her dreams. Someone like that human boy she used to have a crush on. Someone who had been protective of her on her birthday night more than I ever could be.

I was the brother who threw his sisters to the troubles. I was the brother who would bring sorrows to them.

Yet she forgave me. How could she? How dare she? What kind of heart she owned? How soft and big it could be?

I wiped the tear before it could slide down the cheek.

Drenched and defeated, my family suffered the cold as we drove through the forest. I couldn't feel the cold.

Misty's forgiveness had just melted everything that I thought I had made of steel. No, I had no guts to face the Lycans. I did for her. No, I had not cared about my human half-sister. Her love made me do it.

How could she be concerned about my longing for my mate when I was clawing hers?

The sniffles just came out louder than I had expected.

Father had heard me. "I'll drive."

"No need."

I was furious at him.

How could he not hug her in the last moment? We all knew what she wanted. He knew what she longed for. Even her mate knew what she wished for.

"Ask your father to accept her as his daughter."

The words had made me angry. His confidence was deafening. Piercing. I couldn't breathe. As if he was someone who loved her more than us. As if he was someone who knew her more than us. As if it was a goodbye and we won't ever meet Misty again. All because he was capable of winning her heart earlier than I could come to rescue her.