[3] Bird

"I am sorry."

Emily collected the steel bowl from me and nodded slightly. Her cheeks gained color as she gave me a warm look.

"You do not have to be. I kept talking and forget to realize that you were scared," she said slowly. "You left home. You must be missing them all. I should have been more patient with all the words."

Mom's howls came running in my mind. Her mate's last acts of kindness towards me came too, along with Natalie and Thomas' faces. Keira's drunken smile along with Eva's sad one. Aunt Kate's pregnant belly surfaced like a long glimpse along with Fred and Jiro. Uncle Robert laughed with a shake of head while Pete patted my head, giving me the jacket.

My eyes widened and moved around immediately. "Where is my Jacket?"

Her eyes narrowed in thought as she stopped herself from getting up from the chair. "What Jacket?" She asked while furrowing her eyebrows.

My eyes burned as I shakily described, "Olive green colour. Bigger than my size. I crossed the border wearing that jacket. That was the only dowry they allowed. Please!" I said, bursting into another round of tears. "Oh my! Please don't tell me that you ripped that too!"

Her eyes turned blank in worry.

"Please! I beg you! Please tell me where it is!" I cried, looking at her pleadingly.

Emily gulped hard while nodding slowly. "Uncle Lysar brought it here. Said it smelled of an Alpha. Uncle Karam won't like it—"

I gasped in disgust. "He what? That Alpha is my brother! That's the only belonging I have of my family. His scent! His warmth! Please!" I pleaded while showing her my wet eyes. "Please Emily."

Hearing her name from my mouth, made her smile. She blinked and sighed heavily. "It is in that trunk behind you, beside that wooden cupboard."

I immediately turned my head to observe the cupboard. My eyes fell downwards, on the little trunk lying beside it.

"It is safe there. Do not open it before the rituals. No male likes any other male's scent over his mate," she said while I looked back at her, observing her getting up from the chair finally. "I have put your ripped dress into that trunk too, folded neatly. Don't pull them out. My mother always goes for weaknesses whenever she has to prove a point."

A wave of anxiety crawled my chest when I remembered the words her mother had said before leaving the room.

I was so numbed by these atrocities, I couldn't take my mind to the meaning of those words. My presence here was the first most horror for me already. Being a mate,  member of this Lycan family, pleasing everyone and giving a heir.

I so wanted to chuckle out sarcastically.

I would die rather than getting touched by some ancient caveman.

Karam. . .

I hated him already.

His name was making me clench my jaws every moment I would think of his bloody existence.

"It was Aunt Alvena who suggested that we must put it in a trunk for you. So, it stays safe, away from sight and sense." Emily told while giving me a small smile.

The bell didn't ring even after my instincts were telling me that I had heard the name before.

Western pack?

I bit my lip, flaring my nostrils while passing her a tight smile through tears. Nodding quietly, I watched her leaving the room.

Uncle Rudy had two daughters and one son. Blake, Gina and what was the name of the elder daughter.