Natalie

I must be the stupidest person on this planet.

The youngest. The dumbest. The weakest.

When I had the chance, I could have done better. I could have saved my brothers from getting those whiplashes. I could have saved Misty.

"Again?"

Yes. Again.

The guilt couldn't just go away. There was no closure. Only accusations. Only regrets.

I had made my parents, my brothers upset. I had let my sister be thrown to those monsters to whom I was myself terrified to go to.

And Misty was gone, now.

"Natalie."

The long sighs from him had become a regular thing in our newfound relationship. One week of spending time with Axel had opened doors for new hope and smiles. Yet the deepest sorrow in my heart was dominating all these precious moments.

I couldn't even smile back at my mate, knowing what could be happening with Misty right now.

Shutting the bathroom door after him, he would knowingly enter the room shirtless every night. He liked showing off his seductive measures because he knew that they were working.

This feeling was new and scary.

I hated the concept of throwing myself at some male or dominating one. Eva's open flirts with males of other packs would always disgust me. Keira too would shy away at seeing those handsome and charming Alpha and Beta sons.

Maybe, the pup in me hadn't grown then But now, I felt grateful to Moon Goddess for writing a mate in my fate. Especially, someone like Axel. Someone who could understand me when no one else did. Someone who loved me when no one could.

Switching off the bed room lights, the lamps on the sides of bed stayed on. He walked to the gallery door, opening it to let the loose curtains flow by the night wind.

Walking towards his side of the bed, I observed the black boxers in the dark that were putting his muscled thighs on display.

"Why do you open the door? What if someone comes in? No one patrols the house," I asked absentmindedly.

He tilted his head while removing his slippers. "I do. No one dares come here. Only the Alpha or Beta can. Nirvan has no interest. Even if Pete wants to come here and hit me like he loves to do, he can't anymore. We are official now, babe."

I sighed heavily, looking away, loosing myself back in thinking about Misty again.

Sitting on the bed, he relaxed on the pillows beside me. "I'll say it again, every day if I have to. You are not at fault, Natalie."

Tears collected at the back of my eyes. Shame filled all of my senses. He was just trying to do what every mate would do in this situation.

His big hand caught mine, resting on the bed, making me turn my head. Raising my eyes at him, I saw the concern in his eyes that looked too foreign after seeing him bullying Thomas for years.

"You say that to make me feel better, Axel. I appreciate," I told him softly, my voice coming out like a squeak. "But the Goddess knows, I am at fault. From the very full moon night. . ." I stopped myself and gulped hard.

I had been starting this same conversation every night. Axel would keep on talking sweet things in my ear until I would feel better. But the conclusion was still not changing in my mind.

". . . I have ruined Misty's life, Axel." I choked out, sniffling slowly.

"Hey. Hey. Hey," he whispered while wrapping his arm around my back on the pillows and touching my chin. Pushing my face gently so I could look in his grey eyes, he shook his head. "She is with her mate. You did the best job under Moon Goddess' watch. Okay?"