[27] The Trek

All they wanted was a heir from me.

Even if Karam had much more purpose than that-- of owning someone who would be his partner for life. I still couldn't just give up my own life like that.

Back there in Mom's pack, atleast they were educated. Atleast, there were logics and apt reasons.

But here, everything seemed nonsensical and secretive.

The whole territory belonged to native Lycans. But then, the wolf brides were here. The, wolf males were here too.

I couldn't imagine how many other families like of Uncle Joran were living here. Or was there just him and his family left?

Chelsea wasn't allowed to go to the colony of these wolf males. If she had used the word colony, I could hope that there were more. If she wasn't allowed to go there, it meant that the Lycans didn't want the wolf brides to know that they were alive. Otherwise, someone brave like her would have already passed the clue across the borders.

Moreover, what was this deal with the Mystics?

Looking back at the glimpses of Mating Ceremony, those four nights had been full of mingling with the packs. I remembered how brutal Luna Anne was. But I still was more scared of Luna Elsie.

I gasped mentally, realizing how she had warned me to leave. The very night when Pete had hurt Leo. She had told me that they were coming. And the Lycans did.

Alpha Rucus had been trying to warn me to in my dreams. As a human from the modern world, I couldn't believe this much in mysticism. But I had always believed in miracles too. Maybe, his appearance in my dreams were the hints. He was trying to protect me.

Then again, what could I decide about the Mystics? Luna Elsie tried to help me. But Declan had told Stephen and I, that the talisman Chelsea had thrown was blessed by the current Luna of Mystics.

Was the talisman belonged to one of the dancers? Or maybe, Chelsea wanted to tell everyone that Mystics were betraying us by doing trades with Lycans secretly. I could confidently guess that no other pack was aware of this fact yet.

Moreover, so much fabric in return for what? So, there widowed females could have fun. It was like a secret sex racket. But then again, Alvena said that the women wouldn't touch the males unless they were interested. Or maybe, she was lying.

She was Luna Elsie's daughter, after all.

But hell! Why was I realizing these facts now?

Because the silence was too much for me to just stare at the sceneries.

The thoughts were coming on their own as I kept going ahead.

While stepping on each unpolished stone, with sweaty feet and breathlessness. I had removed the cloak from the heat I was feeling. But now, it was slowly getting impossible to carry on with even the little weight in my hands.

We had been walking for past three hours with short breaks of five to ten minutes in between whenever I was losing my voice. Thankfully, there were very little trails of water sliding down the walls of mountain on our right side. I could drink water with no worry of shortage, Karam had told me.

But the sceneries on the left side were mind boggling.

What I had seen of Southern pack was a valley between mountains.

But the Lycans were actually living on the mountains.

The slope was getting straighter by each step and the stones were naturally placed like stairs.