[6] The Upper Hand

He is quick-witted.

Not more than me.

Staring into the little old mirror with rusty circular iron frame, I observed my chattering teeth and unshed tears hung on my lashes.

They bathed me in the cold water and all those injuries were now numb. The chills I had been getting due to mental horror were now physically affecting me. Now, I felt warmer as if I had caught a fever.

But the heart in me was shrinking by the cold terror I was feeling after Amelia and Nysa had left me alone in this room again.

The so-called mate was planning to enter this room to get that so-called upper hand in the so-called forever relationship which was never going to happen until my last breathe. Even after the last breathe.

My anger was there inside me, like a spark. All it needed was some fuel. For which, I was now looking at my nose and slightly loose ring around the left wing. The skin around the piercing was covered with greenish shade of the paste they applied later on, along with some oil to soothe the pain.

Yet the pain was more than just of this piercing.

I was all alone on this territory of some blood-lusted predators. There was an enchanted border around the land to cage me in while one of these predators was telling his world that I was his mate.

My blood boiled at the mere thought.

He was a predator, I was a human. He could be a big ass liar, I was helpless without any loved one around. He had a reputation, I was already given the image of some breeder. 

Whatever game this predator was playing, I might get killed because of the fury I was feeling in my veins. But I won't let him have the satisfaction of having me, ever. Even if I actually felt the pain that he would give me. I won't quench his thirst. I would keep him thirsty.

Before the drum beats.

I nodded to myself and pushed the strands behind my ear. Taking one of the broad handkerchief-like cloth, Amelia had left near my pillow which she would use later to put the oil again, she had told—I tied it around my head to cover my forehead and hair.

Taking another piece of cloth, I doubled it into a triangle and tied around my face, on the bridge of my nose, completing the knot at the back of my head.

A wince escaped my mouth and I jumped slightly at the pain that occurred at the nostril by the mere touch of cloth. Even a little movement of the ring was making me cry silently in pain.

Staring at the mirror, I corrected the cloth at the bridge of my nose and nodded in satisfaction.

Only my eyes were visible.

Removing the mirror off the lamp shelf inside the wall, I put it back on the little table.

Looking around the room, I felt utterly depressed at seeing the medieval furniture and designs. It was unbelievable and scary. I couldn't even breathe at knowing what could my life turn into if I was about to stay here my whole life.

Trying hard not to sniffle to avoid hurting my nose, I walked slowly. The cloth was light enough to disturb my nose ring. Moving my gaze around, I bit my lip.

At finding nothing, I sighed heavily. When all of a sudden, I remembered something.

There were two wooden sticks inside the bathroom criss-crossed on the side of the wall for God-knows-what reason.

Walking towards the bathroom, I hurriedly looked around in the dark. Getting the slight idea of the criss-crossed sticks stuck into the corner of the two walls, I tried to think of their use. But suddenly, I heard something.