T H I R T Y - O N E

There are moments in life where a conflict rages in a person's heart. It's a bloody, brutal conflict that sets flame to everything else, and all the mind can do is listen and smell the smoke because what the heart wants... the heart wants.

Taehyung was facing one of those moments, and the indecisiveness in his chest made him want to tear his hair out.

After the brunette's mouth had blurted the question out, the entire studio stilled like an avalanche had hit, leaving everything barren and cold. The midnight mask glazing Jungkook's eyes hardened into impenetrable rock, and Taehyung felt his heart stumble at the void of emotion.

Jungkook had simply gotten to his feet, not making eye contact with any of the males sitting down as he walked into the kitchen, muttering, "I'll make that sandwich."

Taehyung was confused until he remembered the penance for breaking a rule was making a sandwich. But Taehyung didn't have to be a genius to know Jungkook had left because he didn't want to answer the question.

Half of his heart was suffocated with guilt for sticking his nose into Jungkook's business and disturbing the raven's peace. But the other half was scarred with Yugyeom's words, "He's never gonna trust you enough to tell you. You're nothing but a roommate he has to take care of."

"Don't feel bad, Tae," Hoseok soothed softly as he placed his hand on Taehyung's shoulder. "It's just a touchy subject for him." A forced smile kissed the older's lips.

Taehyung just nodded sadly, regret swirling in his stomach.

"You aren't snooping," Yoongi said. His coffee-brown eyes were confident and stern, and they held just as much power and authority as the first day Taehyung had seen them. "Don't think you are."

Taehyung let out a sad chuckle, "I kinda am, Hyung. Whoever... he... is, is none of my business. Jungkook seems really bothered by those touchy topics."

"That's exactly why you shouldn't stop," Yoongi replied.

Taehyung blinked at the blonde, confused. "Huh?"

Yoongi sighed like he was letting out a mountain-load of stressful air from his tired lungs. "Before you came here, we were all... in a bad place, Taehyung. Especially Jungkook. I'm not gonna tell you why—that's for him to tell you—but he still hasn't been able to let go of his past.

"I know it's a lot to ask, but he really needs someone. He needs to let go, Tae, 'cause its eating at him. He needs to talk about it—needs to let it all out—so he can find peace and move on," Yoongi explained.

The blonde shifted closer, taking Taehyung's hand in both of his own small ones. There was almost a desperateness pleading in Yoongi's eyes, and it was eerily similar to the on Youngjae had. "He needs you, Tae. He's never gonna admit it—that stubborn bastard—but he needs you so fucking bad."

Taehyung's chest tightened.

"Hyung is right, Tae. Thank god for you," Hoseok mumbled, staring deeply at a wall. "You know, you and Kook balance each other out so perfectly. He can't let go of his past, and you wanna run forward into the future.

"Don't pressure yourself; we're not asking you to be his therapist or some shit," Hoseok laughed hollowly. "Just keep being you. Don't ever feel like you're imposing on our business because I think all three of actually need someone who can pull us out of our depressing loop."

Taehyung glanced down at his hands. He didn't need to think about the answer; he had made a promise to himself to be there for the three males the day that they saved him.