S I X T Y - T W O

Taehyung was pacing in front of the door like a father anticipating news about his unborn child.

His chocolate brown hair could've been mistaken for a bird's nest, and he nibbled at his bottom lip frantically, his tornado-gray eyes flitting back and forth. The brunet kept pressing his knuckles though they had already been cracked, yet he didn't seem satisfied.

Jungkook peeked at his boyfriend with one eye. "Babe, sit down; you're gonna burn a hole in the ground with all that pacing." The raven was sitting down, his back leaned against the door of Jimin's apartment as if to block the entrance.

Taehyung ignored the raven. It's been quiet for too long. What if he does something stupid? He's not gonna... hurt himself, right?

He shook his head, dismissing the thought. Jimin wouldn't do that. He's gonna be fine. He just needs some time to breathe and calm himself down.

What if it's your fault? the bitter voice snapped softly in Taehyung's skull, making the man suddenly halt. If he hurts himself, it's all your fault.

Anxiety crashed into the brunet's lungs like a stampede, knocking the air out of him as he whipped his body towards the door. He stumbled forward, almost grabbing the handle until Jungkook entwined their fingers together—a subtle yet clever move.

"Tae, he's gonna be fine. Give him some space," Jungkook said gently, softly tugging down on Taehyung's hands, hoping he would finally rest his legs.

But the brunet shook his head urgently. "Please," he rasped, his throat aching as he peeled the words off his lips. It hurt too much to say anything else, but Taehyung's eyes bled with enough desperation to get the message across. Please let me see him. I'm his best friend, and what if he doesn't want to be alone? I already missed so much; please let me go help him.

"Taehyung, darling," Jungkook rubbed circles on the man's soft, tan hands with his thumbs, "a shit ton has happened to both of you today. I told him we're gonna be right outside. You have to trust him, baby—trust that he will come to you when he's ready." The raven's midnight orbs swirled with something like wisdom as his long, dark lashes cast gentle shadows onto his tired, yet hope-filled face.

Jungkook's cheekbones were accented heavily, and his flesh was hollow and pale despite the stagnant comfort that rested in his obsidian eyes. His dark hair brushed his forehead glumly, and even the silver feather earring seemed to be dull.

Taehyung's bottom lip trembled. You made him like this, Taehyung. Look how exhausted he looks.

I made him like this, his thoughts agreed sadly as the brunet knelt to his knees and placed his head in Jungkook's gentle hands.

"I-I'm sorry," he croaked, covering his face with shame and guilt.

"Baby," Jungkook murmured, slowly lifting Taehyung by head to look him in the eye, "what are you saying sorry for? You did absolutely nothing wrong." He offered the brunet his dazzling bunny smile, but Taehyung still saw how drained the stars in the other's eyes were.

Taehyung shook his head sadly, dropping his head. My fucking mouth still won't work. What is wrong with me?

"I'm just tired—and it's not your fault," Jungkook added quickly. "I exerted too much energy when you fainted: yelling and cussing and glaring. It's not you, Tae. You've got to stop blaming yourself."

But I'm the reason you were telling and cussing and glaring. I'm the reason you can't go home and rest.

Stop pitying yourself, you slut, his mind growled back.