16: Out of All Places

While the guys had already set off to Europe, Ronnie had just returned from his European tour, so I stayed with him and Rose for the time being. Every now and then I'd visit Amy and Chris too. They already treated me like part of the family, even more so than before. I honestly felt blessed having them in my life. Because meanwhile, my own family, still pretty much pretended that I didn't exist.

"Let's go out for a drink tonight. I could use a drink." Ronnie suddenly suggested.

"When can you not use a drink, babe?" Rose joked.

Ronnie giggled and reached for the car keys. "You coming, Ratliff?" He then asked.

I chuckled and rolled my eyes. "Yeah, sure. Let's have some fun.

The bar we went to was crowded and really fun. It wasn't one that I had ever been to, and I honestly didn't understand why. It was a nice place and they played good music. Even some local artists picked up the microphone and played some random songs.

"Gee, you really look like you've gained some weight there, Alexis." I suddenly heard behind me as I got poked in the side.

I turned around and spotted Tommy and Liz. Fucking hell, out of all the people in the whole wide goddamn world. "Nice to see you too, Elizabeth." I muttered, slightly disgusted.

"Don't call me that, twerp." She snapped.

"So you really are with Andy now, huh?" Tommy asked, trying not to sound all kind and sincere. "Good for you. He better treat you right though."

I raised an eyebrow. "Since when do you care about how I get treated?"

"Are you going to introduce us?" Rose then kindly mentioned, obviously trying to lighten the atmosphere.

I cleared my throat and took a sip of my drink. "This is my brother, and his..."

"Fiancée." Liz quickly finished, flashing her ring in my face.

I nearly spat out my drink out of shock. "You are marrying this?" I asked Tommy.

"And here I was trying not to be judgmental." He muttered with a deep sigh.

"Oh please Tommy, you are such a hypocrite, it's disgusting."

"Let's go baby." Tommy then whispered to Liz, completely ignoring me. He put an arm around her and walked to the other side of the bar. If only Liz knew that he cheated on her too. And then they call me the naïve one. Bitch please.

Ronnie came back out of the bathroom and instantly noticed my bad mood. "What's going on, Ratliff?" He asked.

"Look who showed up here too." I muttered as I jerked my head towards the other side of the bar.

Ronnie peaked over my head and frowned. "Do I need to tell him to back the fuck off?" He asked in a low snarl, trying to make himself look big.

I snickered and put my glass to my mouth. "Don't worry about it. I'll beat him myself if I need to." And right when I was about to gulp down the rest of my drink, Ronnie snatched it from my fingers and held it out of my reach.

"No angry drinking, Ratliff. Nothing good comes of that. I'm one to know." He stated. I simply rolled my eyes at him and waited. "You're gonna drink and have fun, otherwise no drinking for you anymore. Promise?"

I sighed. "Fine, Radke! I promise. Now give it back to me."

"Good girl." Ronnie mentioned and kissed my forehead.

I laughed at him as he handed me back my drink.

"I guess you guys don't really get along, eh?" Rose then asked, eyeing the two.

"That's an understatement." I muttered bitterly. "He can't get over the things I did in my past, while his is honestly not that much brighter."

"I call that jealousy."

The rest of the evening I simply ignored Tommy's presence and enjoyed myself. I really wasn't planning on letting him ruin even one more moment for me. Every now and then I caught him looking my way as I was dancing with Rose, but I just tried to pretend that I didn't notice.

At some point, he suddenly got up, holding a beer filter. He pushed it into my hands with force and then left the bar with Liz.

"The fuck was that?" Ronnie asked, slightly ticked off.

I flipped the beer filter and found there was writing on the back. "Since apparently we can't talk to each other like two grown ups, here it is.... Mom is really sick. It's cancer. She's not going to get better. I figured you should know. Sorry."

My heart sank and my throat blocked up. I may not have had a very good bond with my mom, but she was still my mom. And I felt horrible about this.

"Is everything okay?" Rose then asked as she gently put her hand on my shoulder.

"I think I wanna get out of here." I whispered, slightly defeated.

And there it was. I was going to lose my mother, my only mother. Though most of the time I felt like I had already lost her anyways, this was a different kind of loss. It was something I honestly never expected to happen. She had cancer. Fuck!