22: Parenting For Dummies

"Good day, miss Ratliff." The gynecologist calmly said. "I just got the results of the DNA test here. I'm sorry you had to wait this long. How are you feeling?"

I chuckled and rolled my eyes. "Nervous as hell, to be honest." I admitted.

The gynecologist laughed. "All right, I will get straight to it then." I took a really deep breath as I heard paper ripping and crumbling on the other side of the phone line.

In the meantime, Ronnie had sat himself down on the edge of the table, biting his nails and Andy had started pacing forth and back, sucking on his cigarette like his life depended on it. And boy did I crave for one as well. Basically we were all nervous wrecks in our own way.

"Let's see here... I shall read the test results out loud, are you okay with that, miss Ratliff?" The gynecologist then mumbled.

"Y-yes, go ahead." I stuttered. I inhaled and exhaled deeply, preparing myself for the news, as I placed the phone on the table and put it on speaker mode.

"We hereby inform you, Alexis J Ratliff, that we thoroughly tested both specimens of alleged fathers Ronald J Radke and Andrew D Biersack. It has come to our conclusion that Andrew D Biersack cannot be excluded as the biological father of your unborn child. Based on the genetic testing results, the probability of paternity is 99,99 percent when compared to Ronald J Radke. I certify that the foregoing testing was conducted in accordance with the standard protocol, and the results contained herein are true and correct to the best of my knowledge. Signed by Marc Scarpetta, PhD, Laboratory Director."

Andy stopped dead in his tracks and turned towards the table, staring at the phone like he was about to attack it.

"Did you hear that correctly, miss Ratliff?" The gynecologist asked after a moment of silence. It hadn't all sunk in just yet to be honest.

"Uhm..." I muttered, trying to remember how to speak again. "Yeah, I heard you. T-thank you, so much. Good day." I clicked the call away and slowly got up from the couch. "A-Andy..." I whispered as I looked at him.

Andy then looked up at me. Slowly but surely, a mad grin appeared on his face. He shoved a hand through his hair and let a sound escape his mouth that sounded kind of like he had held his breath for way too long.

"Andy." I repeated, now finally starting to realize what it all meant.

"Shit." Andy then exclaimed happily as he came over to me and took me into his arms. "Holy shit." He repeated, nuzzling his face in my hair.

"Congratulations, man. You're going to be a dad." Ronnie then said. I was kind of relieved that he sounded more happy than disappointed. Though part of me didn't even care anymore, really.

Andy slowly pulled away and gently held my face in both his hands. His bright blue eyes were red and sparkling with tears. "We're having a baby." He said, his voice cracking. "You and me, Princess."

I looked up at him once more and wiped away the single tear that had escaped his eye. "You and me." I repeated softly.

"And don't you dare tell anyone that I cried over this." Andy then demanded with a dorky laugh. I simply rolled my eyes and dug my face back into his chest.

I was unable to hold my own tears at this point. But they were tears of pure and true happiness. The baby was Andy's, and nothing at this very moment could possibly make me any happier than that.

Nothing.

A few casual days went by from that point on. And though my body was starting to get sensitive and sore, I tried my best to still do as much as I possibly could do myself. I didn't want to seem too dependent on Andy for when he'd leave on tour again.

One day when I arrived back at the bus, I walked in on Andy and Ashley both having their heads buried in books.

Wait, what? I put the bags of groceries down and snickered softly. Neither of them noticed me yet, that's how concentrated they were. Honestly, I had never seen either of them read a book before. Surely I had seen Andy reading comics and Porn magazines in Ashley's case, but books? Actual books?

Silently I walked over to them and snatched the book from Andy's grasp. I casually flipped it over and read the title. "Parenting for dummies." I read blankly.

"Oh, hey babe." Andy mumbled, unlit cigarette hanging between his lips, smiling brightly and scratching the back of his head.

I raised an eyebrow and snatched the book from Ashley's hands too. It looked similar and when I read the title I just couldn't hold back my laughter. "Your baby's first year for dummies. Are you guys seriously reading this crap?"

Andy grabbed me by the waist and pulled me into his lap. "Well I just want to be prepared." He stated as he nuzzled my neck.

"And what's your excuse, Purdy? This isn't your usual reading material." I stated as I poked his forehead.

Ashley grinned. "Well I need to be prepared in case I have to babysit the fucker."

Babysit! "Oh hell no, there's no way I'm leaving my kid alone with you. It will come back more perverted and damaged than you are." Ashley frowned and pouted at my comment.

Andy then busted out laughing and rubbed my upper arm as he saw Ashley's expression. "Give him a chance, babe." He pleaded as he winked playfully.

"Pregnant Lexie is mean." Ashley then muttered like a five-year-old.