Project

When he was cycling home through the merry streets, an idea struck him. The city had been buzzing for weeks with the upcoming celebration of Saint Nicholas' Eve. Kids were everywhere, throng of families walked in and out of department stores and gift shops, bells, tinkles of laughters. The figure of Sinterklaas; patron saint of children, perching in front of stores, schools, in white hair and long full beard, white bishop's alb and red cape, carrying staff and red book, surrounded by small kids. Their mischevious assistants, Zwarte Piet, miling around in colorful clothes and feathered caps, giving candies and making fun of the giggling childrens. The air smelled of chocolate and sugars, of lights and spices, one could stuck their tongues out and tasted joy on it. The world was so wonderful, everyone was so beautiful in their happiness, magic was in the wind and Sander was gliding in its brilliance.

He stopped in a huge shopping centre, and bought a lot of chocolates, coins and bars, pepernotens and speculaas, ginger biscuits, Sinterklaas chocolate figurines. He also bought thick carboard colored papers, some watercolors that he thought he was out of at home, and other crafting materials he needed for his mini project. At home he started right away, he was exhilirated, brimming with energy. Robbe didn't have tradition in his childhood, he lacked any kind of real closeness with his family. So Sander would bring the glee and that joy to him. He used to have that, pure delight of a child, his dad and his mom, and the wide-eyed wonders, the unquestioned rejoice of unwrapping presents. He and his mom didn't celebrate anymore, he was too old for that anyway, but her mom still brought home chocolates and other sweets for them. So, this time, it would be for both of them.

In the evening, he got a text from Robbe: Hey, how you feel about dinner with my dad next Friday? I just kind of came out to my dad by phone.

Sander replied: Really? How did it go?

He read Robbe next message: Good. There was seconds of silence. But he just asked whether you are a vegetarian or not

He typed: That's great then! You know I eat everything, but my current favorite is Robin though 😁

Sander grinned at Robbe's reply: You can have that later as a special dessert

Their relationship must be getting better then. And he was about to meet his dad. Sander wondered whether it might be time to bring Robbe home to meet his mom. Soon, Sander promised to himself. They tpyed back and forth for a while, then Sander went back to his project. Ideas filling his head, his fingers trying to catch up, smearing, scratches of black ink on papers, the sun inside him. It was 2:34 AM when he remembered to check the time. He was almost finished but why sleep when you didn't need them? Sleep was boring, while there was so much you could be doing. Sander still tried to sleep though, there was school, he reminded himself. So, he tried to quiet the buzzing in him, closing his eyes and taking deep, long breaths.

*

School was amazing, art just flowed from his hand, swift and unrestrained. Sander felt vivid, a steady, beaming and golden light filling him. After school, Sander was in his bedroom, Bowie was on speaker. Robbe was busy with homeworks and upcoming exams. They would met tomorrow evening anyway, for presents night. Sander had persuaded him to celebrate by putting up his shoes for the Sint. Robbe was reluctant, he thought that it was childish, but Sander had insisted, because he had a surprise for him.

Heroes was playing, and Sander was vibrating; papers, books, pencils, paints, bottles, scattered on the desk. His laptop was open. Sander was moving from one drawing to others, sketches to his notebook, school works to his drawing of Robbe, of them. Now it was The Man Who Sold The World playing on speaker, the voice of Bowie charging the room, notes bouncing from the walls. A bright sharpness crossed through his mind. That's what he meant. A new meaning was unfolding, layer by layer that he didn't notice before, he felt enriched by them. Another songs, another new depth. Something came to him. He opened a new tab on his laptop, searching, until he found the perfect place he was looking for. The accomodation was fabulous, the real deal with stunning decors, and he booked a penthouse suite for Friday's night with his credit card right away. That would be the special present from him. He had another idea in his head, and he laughed to himself, imagining Robbe's reaction. There was something nudging him, below the intensity of his happiness, faint and colorless, insignificant, so Sander ignored it. He finally went to sleep after four.