That We're Alive Right Now

"Is that even?" Robbe asked, fixing his side of the white fur mantel over the fireplace.

"I think so," Sander replied.

They were having a small party that Friday in Robbe's flat, more like a gathering for their Secret Santa night. They were all the girls and boys from the seaside trip months ago, minus Britt of course. Sander and Robbe had mostly taken the role to decorate the room. There was already a Christmas tree in one corner of the room, bought by the flatmates. It was lit up with shining colors, red and white baubles, ribbons and garlands. Boxes of  presents were laid under the tree. They had put up wreath, candles in glasses, strands of colorful lights over the fireplace and walls.

"The boys are here!"

Sander heard muffled sounds of Milan greeting the boys by the door.

Milan was saying, "You can give me those presents, and I'll put them under the tree."

"And then sneakily check who your secret santa is," Moyo said.

Milan chuckled.

"Yeah, I know what you're up to," Moyo said again.

"Fine, you got me."

The boys laughed.

Jens walked to him, smiled and offered his hand. "Everything all right?"

Sander took it, "Yeah, everything all right." They did a bro hug and patted each other lightly at the back.

"Hello Jack Frost!" Moyo greeted him.

Sander smiled and they slapped hands.

Sander glanced and saw Aaron was looking at him with a hesitant smile.

He came to him, "So, you're Robbe's boyfriend."

Sander smiled, "Yeah, yeah." Why is he acting so awkward? It's not like they had never met before.

"Alright, nice." Aaron rocked half forward with a vague gesture. Sander was not sure what they were doing.

He offered his hand to shake, but Aaron didn't take it and still looking at him, swaying uncertainly.

He let his hand fell when Aaron moved to embrace him and patted him at the back, kind of a bit more than casual and didn't let go of him for couples seconds. Sander patted him back awkwardly. The whole thing was so weird.

"Man, I am such a big fan of yours, dude."

What? Sander cringed inside.

He finally let go of him, and Sander rolled his eyes when he turned away.

Zoe came in with a tray of red wine in glasses.

"We can choose any one?" Moyo asked.

"Yeah, of course! They are all the same."

They gathered around to take one. Sander took one and stood at the back a bit. He was feeling a lot better, but he was not a hundred percent yet. His eyes automatically searched for Robbe. He was laughing with his friends. There was always someone who patted him, touched his shoulder, or his chin playfully. They all seemed to like him so much. Why wouldn't they? Robbe looked so happy, and Sander reveled in it. He watched him and smiled fondly.

"Look, who show up as well," Milan said, bringing Noor with him into the room.

Robbe went to greet her. Sander was glad that they were still good friends after the mess.

"I think that's everyone, then," Milan grinned and clapped his hands, "So then, it's time for presents!"

They all cheered. They took turn opening their presents one by one. Zoe got a make up set. Someone gave Jana a bottle of wine. Sander laughed when Robbe opened his present which was a self-made loudspeaker from Jens.