(Running away) pt.2

Soda's POV
"Hey, Steve! How much more til were off?" I yelled from the counter, to the garage where Steve worked.

"Half an hour buddy!" He called back.

I shrugged. Could be worse. Worse.. I thought to myself. All the images of Dal and Johnny came back. It's only been a few days since they passed. Nobody was expecting or ready for that, not even them themselves. It's been hard on all of us, especially Y/n.
———————————————————————
I sat at the counter doing nothing until my shift was finally over. "Ready, buddy?" Steve put a hand on my shoulder as he walked in.

"Yep" was all I said as I hoped down off the stool and headed out with Steve.

As we walked, I thought about Y/n. I mean, she was only Pony's age, and already had seen to many people she cared about die.

"Steve?.." I ask. He looks to me. "Yea, Soda?" He replies.

I sigh "How do you think Y/n is doing with all of this?" I ask. He looks back ahead and shrugs.

"We're all trying to get by" he says.

"Ya but Y/n, she's only 14 and Dal and Johnny were her best pals...everyone knew that" I point out, tears forming in my eyes from the thought.

"Look Buddy" Steve puts an arm around me "I'm sure she'll come around. Just give er' some time" he nods.

"I hope your right" I say.
————————————————
When we made it back to the house, I stepped inside while Steve went to go grab some cake.

Darry was working like most times, while Pony and Y/n were still at school. Twobit would probably be bumming around or helping out his ma with his sister.

Nobody's home. Nows a good time to go searching for all my shirts and sweaters Y/n has stolen from me. I chuckled at the thought as I walked in her room.

Confusion struck me when I walked in and saw dressers pulled out with clothes hanging out, items tipped over, her jewelry box wide open!

My first thought was we've been robbed! I was about to call Steve, when I spotted a note on the bed. I hurried over and picked it up.

Dear,
Who ever finds this letter

I'm sorry, I had no choice. I'll be leaving Tulsa for a while.

My heart sunk when I read those words. Where did she go!? What does she mean she's leaving for a while!? She can't be out there on her own, she's still a baby! My baby sister. I pulled myself together as I read the rest-

Please don't worry about me.

Please don't worry! How can I not!?

I'll be fine. I got money, clothes, all the stuff I need. I don't know how long I'll be gone for, I just know I need a break. I need a break from this town, from the memories, from the nonstop socs, from the constant gangs and fights. Im sorry guys. Stay safe.

Y/n Curtis, <3

Tears slipped out of my eyes as I sat down on the bed. A million thoughts raced through my mind. She can't be out there alone, there's bad peoples out there and I won't be able to save her! What if she starves!? What if she gets kidnapped or robbed!?...what if she has a nightmare..and I ain't there.

I couldn't hold it back, I started crying at the last thought. I just wanted my sister back.

Steve appeared in the door way as he sat on the bed never to me. "Hey buddy, what's wrong!?" He asked in concern, trying his best to comfort me. All I could do was hand him the letter.

After he read it, he was quiet. The only sound was made by my sniffles.