Chapter 39 Jasper P.O.V

When Hermione came in I could finally feel something, normally I can not feel anything. She was guilty and sad although she put up a happy front. I hate it whenever people do this, Alice had been worried about Hermione we all had. After dinner I told everyone to act like Hermione is following even if she didn't as I was going to try and get her to talk, Alice scoffed at the idea but I knew just the emotion to get her to tell me. Just as I hoped she hung back in the dining room, I kept an eye from a distance until she left through the front door, her head quickly snapped to look at me as I left the house "Hermione why do you feel guilty and sad today is Christmas" I sat down next to her hoping that she would tell me.

"There... there was a... something happened several months ago some of my friends died and I can not help wonder why I was not one of them" she took a deep breath "so what was it like in the war"

I could tell she did not want to talk about what had happened to her so I went along with the new convocation, I explained how the guilt of the lives I took still affects me, it was easy to talk to her as it felt like she understood as if she had gone through a war herself. 

After they left everyone was in the living room waiting to hear what she said. I did not know what they meant at first I purposely spoke normally so they could hear. "She said that something happened a few months ago and some of her friends died she feels guilty that she did not" I explained

Alice whimpered to know that this was the sort of pain her mate had been going through, "that  must just be horrible for her"

"Did she say what had happened?" Carlisle asked but I just shook my head

"I have asked Bella about what Hermione did back in England but it is clear she is keeping things from me"

We did not say much for the rest of the evening just sitting in silence