A Warm Dinner

"Woah woah- wait up little guy." I insisted as he led me further into his little room. After almost tripping over some of his toys I realized I was the grown adult in this situation. I could easily plant my feet in the ground to prevent him from leading me further.

Right as I came to that sudden realization I noticed the excitement in his eyes. Deciding it was better to just follow his lead, after all he was just a harmless little kid.

"Look! Look!" he was almost shouting with excitement when he pointed down at the ground in front of us. There were a few crayons scattered across the floor, but following his finger I saw a drawing. Not just any drawing to be exact. It was a drawing of me, jamming out on a guitar. He must have heard me in Sam's room earlier. "Oh vincent..." I couldn't form the proper words to say.

That drawing was probably one of the sweetest things anyone has done for me. Having already suppressed a lot of emotions about Mae leaving, this small act of kindness brought tears to my eyes.

Noticing I had started crying Vincent immediately got confused. "I'm sorry! I didn't want to make you sad. I drew you because you are so cool! Cool like my big brother." he nodded in agreement with himself as he tugged on my hand. "You can keep the drawing if you want," he added with a grin.

"Thank you... you are a really sweet young man." I wiped away my tears with my wrists before grabbing the drawing. Carefully folding it and putting it into my pocket.

I would definitely need to call Mae later.

From in the kitchen I could hear Sam shout, "Alright it's ready!" Taking that as our que, Vincent and I walked out of his room. Making sure my eyes weren't watery anymore, I stepped into the kitchen.

"Wow, that smells amazing!" I beamed happily as I walked towards the table. Sam kindly pulled a chair out for me to sit at while his mother started placing plates of food on the table.

"Thank you," I replied to his kindness with a smile. Abruptly someone tugged on my arm. "Oh?" I turned to see Vincent standing next to where I was seated. "Do you need-" before I could finish my sentence he quickly asked, "Can I sit next to you!" Sam and his mother laughed at the young boy's eagerness. "Of course you can, after all this is your home. You can sit where you like." I gave the boy a nod and he pulled his chair even closer before taking a seat.

I had to keep myself from letting out a laugh when I noticed he was sitting on a few thick books. It was funny until I realized that in a year or two he could be taller than me.

"Alright, eat up kids! I made my special chicken breast spaghetti, I hope you like it, Rose." Sam's mother gave me a soft smile while she watched me, waiting for me to take a bite. I felt a bit nervous once I noticed they were all waiting for me to try the dish. Quickly, I took my first bite.

"Holy shit- I mean holy crap! This is amazing." Personally I had only ever eaten jar spaghetti, being too tired after work I would just make something easy.

"I know right? My mom is a great cook, well with spaghetti." Same joked, earning a glare from his mom. "Well if you don't like the other food I cook, feel free to cook for yourself young man." she responded before digging into her own food.

We all ate with a few little chats here and there. At one point I quietly asked Sam what his mom's name was, of course he laughed at me before answering my question. He told me her name was 'Jodi' , a name that I had never heard before, surprisingly.

"Here Vincent," his mother handed him a cup with chocolate milk and a straw which he happily sipped from. I must have been looking at the chocolate milk for too long because Sam got up from his seat, pouring me a glass as well.