First Date Jitters

After my comment about Sam, Mae gawked at me the entire performance.

I kept my eyes on Sam the whole time until they finished performing their last song.

"Rose you're what?" She stared at me with wide eyes as she turned my face to look at hers. "I told you I'm in lo-"

"Hey Row! Did you like our performance?" Sam hopped down from the stage and I quickly stopped myself from completing my sentence. "Yes! It was so good! And your guitar solo was done so well!" I smiled and gave him a hug. "I'm so proud of you guys!" Sam wrapped his arms around me to return the hug, squeezing me tightly.

"While Seb and Abby finish packing up their stuff come with me." He whispered and I let go of the hug. "Oh okay-" I turned to Mae, "I'll be back in a bit." She gave me a nod and Sam held my hand to lead me.

"So you know how you said you've never been on a date?"

"Uh yea, why?"

"Well I wanted to have something special prepared for you."

"Oh?" I questioned as he led me towards the treeline.

We walked in silence for a bit while Sam led me up a hill. The thick tree leaves guarded us from the warm sun as we made our way up. Every once in a while I glanced up at Sam and everytime I looked he had the same smile on his lips.

"I hope you're hungry." He commented as he came to a stop. I took a few steps forward to see over the hill.

To my surprise and amazement there was a picnic blanket set up. "Wh-"

Sam continued holding my hand as he led me towards the blanket. I noticed a large picnic basket resting on top of it as well as a different bag.

"Sam you didn't have to..." I trailed off once I noticed our view. "Holy shit Sam- Is this the place you mentioned?" I asked as I stared over the cliff's view. Below us I could see Stardew Valley in the distance.

"I don't know what to say... This is beautiful..." I breathed the words quietly as I looked over the valley.

Once I finally snapped out of it I looked over at Sam. He had taken a seat on the blanket, staring up at me with a look of awe. The same look of awe that I had looking out at the beautiful valley.

He patted the free space on the blanket beside him and I quickly sat down, feeling bad for spending a while staring at the view.

"Sam... How did you prepare all of this?" I asked as I stared up at him. "Well actually, I had a lot of help from Haley." He seemed a bit embarrassed to admit it. Everything clicked now. Haley's odd text earlier made sense now.

"I can't believe you went to all of this effort for me-" Without even noticing my eyes had teared up a bit. Thankfully no stray tears fell down my cheeks and I could quickly wipe my eyes. "Sorry, it's just... No one has ever done something like this for me." I laughed from embarrassment at my own words.

"Well, this is the least I can do for you." He commented as he looked out over the cliff's edge. "What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"The way you make me feel... You make me feel happier. You make me want to better myself so I can be good enough for you. You... Ever since you came into town my life has changed for the better. The days have felt brighter and more fun. I just- I just really love spending time with you. Rose, you make me a better man." Sam looked back over at me while he spoke, turning his body to face me while we both sat on the blanket.

Each word he spoke made my heart feel lighter and lighter. My cheeks grew warm at his final statement. "Sam..." I smiled softly at him, not knowing the right words to describe how he makes me feel. The only thing that might convey those feelings was a kiss.