Back To Normal?

I woke up to feel the heavy steps of Arson as he walked over me. It had been a while since I last saw him, I was glad to see he was alright. "Hey lil bud, were you scared of Mae or something? You know you both have similar hair colors." I laughed as I picked him up and moved him to the side so I could get up.

Speaking of Mae, she was nowhere to be seen in the cabin. "Huh?" I questioned as I assumed she wouldn't be leaving until tomorrow.

Rummaging around for my phone, I found it under the blankets. When I turned it on I saw a few texts from Mae.

"Hey Row, sorry to leave on such short notice but I got a call from work."

"Apparently even with a promotion they still work you to the bone."

"I was going to wake you up and say goodbye but then that fat cat hissed at me."

"He seems cute but a bit scary."

"Anyways, I'll come visit again soon."

I frowned at her sudden departure. Ever since I moved here it seemed harder and harder to spend more time with Mae. I would go visit her myself, but with all of the farmwork and summer coming up it'd be hard.

Starting the day off with a gloomy mindset, I got to work on the farm as usual. Thanks to Mae's help I got groceries so I could actually eat a real meal for lunch.

Once everything was done I began counting how much money I had saved up. Doing the math I realized I had enough to get the coop and then some chickens.

Immediately my energy was renewed with the thought of having cute little chickens on the farm. Quickly, I got everything I needed and made my way up the mountain to Robin's. Hopefully she would be in today.

The closer I got to her home the more I admired it. The architecture was stunning and it was a nice size. Hopefully one day I would have a home like that.

I made my way to the door and knocked. The thought of just barging into these people's homes still felt a bit odd to me.

Someone shouted "Come in!" and I took that as my cue to enter.

At my entrance I was met with a friendly face. Robin stood behind a counter in the room I entered, a bright smile plastered on her face. She probably knew she was about to get a job from me.

"Hey Robin, I came to ask you about getting a coop. The farm has been going really well and uh yea..." I smiled nervously as I made my way to the counter. "Fantastic! I would love to build you a coop, for the right price of course. Plus I need the right materials. Do you have them?" She asked, keeping that smile on her face.

"Oh right, I have it all right here." I handed her everything that she would need from me and she quickly began counting the money to make sure it was enough. "Alright! This is everything I need, I'll get started first thing tomorrow. It should take about three days for me to finish. Sound good?"

"Yup! Sounds great." We waved goodbye and I turned to leave. Once I closed the door behind me I started to make my way back home. Instead of taking the fast route I decided to just walk through town.

Before I could even take five steps I heard Robin's door open and then close. Being dumb and curious, I turned around.

"Sam..." I uttered his name quietly. It had been a while since I last saw him, well it had been a while since I saw him while being sober.

"Hey Rose, been a while huh?" He laughed a bit nervously. "H-how have you been?" I blurted out the first thing that came to mind. A bland conversation starter.