Cindersap Lake

After making my way back to the farm I searched through all of my clothes for a swimsuit. It took me a little longer than it should have, but it had been a while since I last used it. Looking down at the swimsuit I got a few flashbacks from when I last wore it a year ago. That time in my life was one of the lowest, my self confidence was dangerously low. Over the year with the help of Mae and a professional, I got better.

Pushing the memories aside, I slipped the black two piece on. Over it I wore a long sundress with rose patterns on it. Just in case, I brought a bottle of sunscreen and some snacks in a bag, along with some water bottles and a towel. Once I was finished getting ready I left the farm and made my way to the lake. It took me a few minutes to remember where it was, but eventually I arrived.

To my surprise it wasn't just Sam's friend group there. I noticed Penny and Maru sitting on the water's edge, along with Vincent and Jas splashing each other in the shallow parts of the lake.

"Hey Row!" Sam called out with a wave from his spot in the water. His bright grin was infectious and I couldn't help but smile and wave back. I put sunscreen on the necessary places, keeping my dress on as I did so. A little part of me felt anxious to be in a swimsuit again, but I knew it was just my old self talking.

I waited a few minutes to let the sunscreen settle, I grew up doing that but I didn't know if it actually helped or not. Sam, Abigail and Sebastian stood in water that was deep, but not deep enough for them to have to swim to stay up. Taking a deep breath I took off the flower patterned dress and placed it over my bag that sat against a tree. As quickly as I could I got into the water. Sinking in, the cool sensation brought a sense of calm to my nerves.

"How's the water, too cold for you? It'll get better in the summer and..." Sam trailed off as he scratched his neck. I let out a small laugh before answering, "No, the water is perfectly fine. It's nice and cool." I nodded in reassurance before sinking my head down under the water. I let myself stay under for a moment, my hair flowing wildly under the water. I quickly smoothed it down as I came back up to the surface.

Sam had watched me as I went under, but strangely averted his gaze once I came back up. "The last time I swam in a lake I was around 10. I remember a fish swam by and touched my leg. Like the child I was, I screamed and vowed to never swim in a lake again." I laughed as I told the random story, not sure what brought it to light from my mind.

Sam had continued looking away from me for a bit until finally he turned back. " Scared another fish is gonna touch ya?" He teased jokingly, earning a light punch in the arm from me. "Nah, I'll just grab it this time and cook it." I replied matter of factly, bringing up my arms and attempting to flex my biceps. There was definitely more muscle than I had before moving here, but it wasn't much compared to Sam or even Abigail.

As we were laughing together, Sebastian swam over with Abigail clinging to his arm. Oddly enough, Sebastian wore a t-shirt while he swam in the water. I felt a bit of empathy towards him, knowing exactly what it was like to feel insecure. Instead of staring at him any longer I looked up to see him give Sam a 'knowing' look. Knowing of what, I had no clue. But Sam on the other hand seemed to know exactly what Sebastian was trying to communicate.

"Hey um Abigail, could you go ask Vincent if he's hungry. I would, but the last time I did he said no. I think it's because he doesn't want to get out of the water. Maybe you can convince him?" Sam asked, getting a groan from the girl. "Sure I guess...." She mumbled as she let go of Sebastian's arm, doing a combination of swimming and walking to get to the two kids.

"Thanks dude." Sebastian let out a sigh of relief. "I thought with that new girl she met she would lay off a bit... it worked up until now." He mumbled to Sam, barely audible to me. I felt like I was invading a private conversation, even though I was there before he started talking, but nonetheless I decided to leave them alone. Sam gave me a look that seemed to convey 'sorry' I just gave him a shrug before I swam over to the kids and Abigail.