Come on, Apologize

[Rose's POV]

"I think..." I took a few moments to catch my breath. "I think that's everything..." I took a few deep breaths as I tossed my tools into their bin. I took a seat on the steps, barely shaded by the house from the hot sun.

"Summer...." The word felt bitter in my mouth. The whole first day of my summer had been spent planting new crops after I removed the old ones, plus taking care of the chicks. I was way too tired to cook anything so I didn't even attempt going inside.

Luckily the sun would be setting soon and the heat would die down. After taking a few more minutes to relax my body I reluctantly stood up. My whole body felt exhausted, but I needed to go eat something. Normally I would just go to bed hungry, but thanks to a certain someone I actually want to try harder at taking care of myself.

I slowly made my way into town and towards the saloon. By the time I got there it was already dark.

"Hey Gus, just a slice of pizza and water for me." I told him my order before paying and he nodded. It was obvious he was looking me up and down, probably judging how bad I looked at that moment.

Once he took my order and money I made my way over to a table. The place was almost empty, due to it being a monday. Not many people go to bars on Monday nights. Except Pam and Shane apparently.

While I waited I rested my head against my hand as I glanced around the place. Not long later until Gus came over with my food. "Thank you." I said before digging in.

As I ate I checked my phone, noticing a few messages from Mae and an attached photo:

Mae- "On my way babe!"

[image]

It took me a few moments to realize what the image meant

Rose- "WAIT REALLY?!? AH I'M EXCITED!!"

I received a smirking emoji back. Since she was driving to Pelican Town in the dark I decided to not text her more. Didn't want to distract her or anything.

Quickly I finished my food and left, my energy renewed with excitement. I had to clean up and prepare the cabin for a guest.

Once I made it back to the farm I showered and changed clothes first. Then I got to work. I did the breakfast dishes and put them all away. Then I put all of my dirty laundry into a basket. I folded the clothes in my drawers because I knew Mae enjoyed it when I was organized. And the final things I did were make my bed and organize all of my movie CD cases.

Everything looked decent enough and I hoped it would make Mae feel cozy and at home for however long she was staying. From personal experience I knew how much it sucked being in the city. Visiting me was sort of like an escape from that life for Mae. I wanted her to feel happy.

Once things were all prepped for her arrival I sat on the edge of my bed and waited. From the looks of her photo she wasn't too far from Town. While I waited I went on my phone and texted Sam to tell him how excited I was.