Breakfast With Company

In the distance there were faint noises of people moving around. My eyes fluttered open and it took me a few seconds to comprehend where I was. I blinked a few times to stop my vision from being blurry as I sat up. Thinking back to what happened last night I smiled to myself, it was truly a lot of fun.

Remembering my phone had been on mute, I fished around the ruffled blankets until I found it. When opening it I was flooded with texts from Mae.

"Aw that picture is so cute. You two look like a couple"

"Damn leaving me on delivered >:("

"Wait, you probably getting some action, my bad shawty."

"Girl, it's been hours, y'all still goin?"

"Is this your first sleepover with a guy lmao"

"Anyways goodnight, sleep tight. ;)"

"Oh text me when you wake up"

"Jesus Christ Mae...." I couldn't help but laugh at her ridiculous text messages, sending her a quick "wtf" message. I checked some of the other notifications before turning my phone off. Until now I didn't realize that if I slept on his bed he probably slept on the couch. "Crap..." I mumbled as an immediate wave of guilt washed over me. I wasn't even supposed to stay over in the first place.

After a few minutes of trying to wake myself up fully, I left his room. When I walked out into the living room I could smell bacon. Immediately I got excited, so I walked into the kitchen. I saw Sam wearing different clothes from last night and an apron as he cooked.

"Hey, sorry about last night. I didn't mean to fall asleep." I apologized with a sigh while I approached him. I peeked at what he was cooking and I saw bacon, eggs, and hash browns. "Don't worry about it." He replied, giving me a sweet smile. That feeling in my stomach came back when he looked at me like that. I shook my head in an attempt to shake off the feeling. He gave me a weird look.

"Did you get to sleep in? I assume at the farm you wake up early all the time." He asked as he looked back at the food to make sure it didn't burn. "What time- Oh shit you're right. Normally I wake up at 6am sharp... I guess waking up later is okay every once in a while." I commented before leaning against the counter beside him. "Need help with anything?" I offered, even though he seemed to be almost done.

"Not with cooking, but could you wake Vincent up for me?" He asked and I gave his a nod.

Making my way over to Vincent's room, I looked at the couch and saw a blanket and pillow folded nicely to the side. I assumed that's where he slept last night.

"Hey bud you up?" I questioned with a few knocks on his door. With no response I gently opened the door slightly to look in. He is bundled up under a few blankets with a line of drool coming from his parted lips. I giggled to myself before stepping into the room. Approaching the side of his bed quietly, I knelt down and tapped his shoulder. "Vincent, time to wake up." I said softly. Spending time with Vincent made me realize that maybe I do actually want kids one day.

The little boy's eyes opened slowly and he stared up at me. "Rose? You're still here?" He asked as he sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "Ha, yea I fell asleep late last night so Sam let me sleep over." I answered while helping him up out of bed. He held my hand while we walked and my heart melted.

We made our way to the kitchen and he was still clearly tired, but Vincent sat in his chair to eat. Sam started serving plates and placing them down for us. He motioned for me to sit next to him and across Vincent. Taking my seat, I noticed he didn't make a plate for his mom. As if he could read my mind he answered my question without me asking it, "She usually goes over to Caroline's for a 'ladies breakfast'"

"How did you-" He laughed at my confused expression. "You're just easy to read I guess." Sam shrugged in response before digging in. We all ate in comfortable silence for a while.

Sam got up and made his way over to the fridge, I watched him for a moment but then went back to eating. He came back over and placed a glass of chocolate milk next to me. "Wh-" before I could question him he simply said, "Thought you might be thirsty." His kind and considerate nature brought a redness to my face, so I quickly turned away. I looked down at my plate and uttered a thank you.

I could just feel him grinning as he sat back down next to me. Vincent looked at me a bit confused why my face got red.

"Isn't it Haley's birthday today?" Vincent asked, looking at his brother. My face finally felt normal so I looked back up before continuing to eat. Thinking about my interaction with Haley brought a mix of emotions. On one hand she was extremely rude to me, but on the other hand I did yell at her instead of being the bigger person. I felt a wave of guilt rush over me and I began rubbing my forehead to relieve the stress.

"Hm I believe so yea." He answered his brother with a shrug. "Can we bake her a cake? I feel bad, she mainly gets gifts from just Emily." Vincent pouted. "Maybe if she wasn't so rude to everyone-" Sam stopped himself and took a deep breath. "Sure Vince, we can bake her a cake. What kind?" He finished up his plate. "I think she would like a pink cake, she does seem like a 'girly' girl." I chimed in, feeling a bit bad after what Vincent said.

"Ooo yes! Those are yummy!" He giggled happily. I finished my plate and brought it over to the sink, helping Sam wash the dishes. "Oh well then I'll have to go into town to find a melon since they are out of season." Sam said as we washed the dishes together quite quickly this time.

"Can you help us with the cake Rose? Sam almost burnt the cookies we made a while ago." Vincent gave me those adorable puppy dog eyes to help persuade me. "I have to do my daily farm work, but afterwards I would be glad to help." I smiled sweetly and Vincent grinned back at me.

Sam and I finished the dishes together and then I began collecting my things. "Be back in about 2 hours, give or take?" 

(Authors Note: Jeez I've been posting these back to back updates like crazy lmao. It's more fun to write than study for exam season, so here I am. Hope y'all are enjoying it so far <3 also sorry this one is shorter than usual)