A Helping Hand

His eyes lit up at my offer and he quickly began setting up the next game. I took Sebastian's place at the end of the pool table, grabbing the cue stick and the cube of chalk.

While he finished setting it up I rubbed the chalk at the tip of my stick, to help create more friction when I hit the ball.

"You ready to taste defeat?" He looked over at me with a playful smile and I couldn't help but return it. " Ha, you wish." I replied smugly.

The game went on longer than I expected, but the sound of the balls clashing into each other was soothing.

I readied up my final shot, focusing on making it hit at just the right angle. This would be my finishing move, claiming victory for me.

Sam seemed a bit upset because he was just about to lose, but I could sense a smile on his face as he watched.

Ready, aim, fire. I knocked the final ball in, "I did it!" I placed the cue stick back on the table and jumped happily. "How does it feel to lose again?" I asked with a smirk before looking over at Sam. To my surprise he didn't seem upset to lose, in fact he was smiling more than me.

"Huh?" I looked at him questioningly, but before he could respond Mae had grabbed my arm. I turned to her with a raised eyebrow before realizing she was completely hammered.

"Damnit Mae." I mumbled as I straightened her posture and looked up at her.

"Lesh go to your cabin. Er wait didn't I shay I was the fermer?" Her words were slurred and barely made any sense. "Yea I'll take you back to my house..." I frowned slightly once I realized she had fallen asleep. I had expected to have a bit more fun with these guys, I had already started warming up to them.

Mae leaned on my shoulders as I wrapped an arm around her and began walking us toward the room's exit.

"Do you need some help or something?" Sam asked as he watched me practically dragging Mae to the door. "No, it's fine stay with your-" I looked at his two other friends in the room and they had fallen asleep on the couches.

"Sure, I could use some help." I changed my response, since I felt like it wouldn't hurt to get help. Sam seemed nice enough, almost like a puppy.

He easily pulled her out of my grip and held her. She wasn't that light, so I was surprised at how easily he carried her out of the Saloon.

We walked back out onto the stone paved path outside and walked through the town square.

"So I'm guessing she isn't actually the new farmer?" he asked with a laugh. "No she's just one of my city friends that came to help me settle in. Sunday night she'll have to go back to Zuz though." I explained, suddenly feeling sad at the thought of her leaving. It'd be hard not seeing her almost everyday.

"If you ever feel lonely at the farm or just wanna hangout, you can hangout with my group." he offered with a slight shrug. "Really? I mean that's very kind of you, but I don't know if I would fit in with your friends." I responded.

The stone path turned into dirt and it crunched satisfyingly under our feet. We walked the rest of the way to the farm in comfortable silence. It was obvious Sam was also exhausted.

He waited at the bottom of the steps up to the cabin as I took my keys out and unlocked it. I stepped into my small home and held it open for him. "You can just set her on the bed over there." I instructed with a hand motion towards the bed.

Sam came up the steps and walked into the cabin, placing Mae gently on the bed. "Thank you for the help, it would have taken me a lot longer to drag her back." I thanked him for his kindness with a soft smile.

"No problem, if you ever need help just ask. The people here are super kind, well most of them at least." He laughed before giving me a wave and leaving. I shut the door behind him and then glanced over at Mae on the bed. Her eyes were still shut and a stream of drool came out from the corner of her mouth.

She's going to make my clean sheets dirty in those clothes...

After mumbling to myself about all of the dumbs things I did that night, I changed into pajama shorts and a plain t-shirt.

My dirt covered boots had been tossed off lazily earlier and landed somewhere in this small room.

I walked back over to the bed and pushed Mae over to make room. No way was I sleeping on the floor, bugs might crawl on me.

She mumbled a few things in her sleep, I heard the name 'Abigail'. Maybe those two hit it off. I pulled the blankets over the both of us and closed my eyes. The second my eyes shut I fell asleep.

Tomorrow was going to be a hell of a lot of work...