Buried

"What? Why?" I stared back at Haley, completely confused by her sense of urgency. She acted as if this girl was some crazy murderer. Her eyes moved behind me as the sound of water splashing came to a stop.

I turned back to the pink haired stranger. I was surprised by the long length of her hair, the amount of dye it must need...

"It's nice to meet you. You're the new girl in town, right?" Her voice was sweet like honey. The upper half of her torso was now out of the water, revealing her slim frame.

"Yes, my name is Rose. I moved when spring started." I held my hand out and an unfamiliar look flashed over her face for a split second. It was gone before I could place the emotion. She shook my hand swiftly before grabbing at my hair.

It was strange, but in order to not have a bad first impression I let her twirl the ends with her finger.

"Hmmm..." she hummed quietly before lowering her hand back into the water.

I couldn't tell if I was imagining it or not, but she seemed to be... sizing me up? I felt like a toad being dissected under her gaze.

"I'm sorry, but what's your name?" I laughed awkwardly as she seemed to forget to mention it.

"Harper." She smiled sweetly and I returned the gesture. "That's such a pretty name! And I'm sorry if this sounds weird, but you are so pretty." My smile persisted while hers faded. She stared past me at Haley and I turned to see a rage burning in the blondes eyes.

"Haley! What a surprise seeing you here. I haven't seen you since highschool. I'd love to catch up." Harper waded through the water and reached for Haley's clenched fist under the water. She held Haley's hand seemingly tenderly, but I noticed what looked like a glare on her face.

"A surprise? I live here, Harper." Haley's voice was dripping with venom, a stark contrast to the sweetness of Harper's.

"I almost forgot! All of you kids in this town would drive all the way to the next town for High School. Ah, those were the good ol days." Harper smiled as she reminisced.

Haley stayed silent, so Harper continued, "I'm staying in a spare room at the Saloon for a few days. I thought it'd be nice to catch up with you. How's Sam doing?" She let go of Haley's hand and I noticed it was shaking.

I had no clue who this woman was, but I wasn't a total idiot. Clearly something was wrong. Haley was shaking with what seemed to be anger and... fear maybe? Whatever it was, I needed to get her out of here. Asap.

"It was lovely meeting you Harper, but I just remembered we agreed to go with my friends to the mall soon. We should probably go get ready. I'm so sorry to cut this short! Maybe we can chat later?" I put on a forced smile before grabbing Haley's hand from under the water, pulling her back towards the locker room.

"Oh, a shame. Don't worry though, I know where to find you. We can chat at a later date." It could just be all in my head, but her voice sounded almost eerily sweet.

I shook off the feeling and led Haley out of the bath, grabbing our snacks and water on the way out.

When we made it to the locker room she didn't even let me change back into my clothes. She stuffed everything into the bag and rushed out. I followed swiftly behind and saw her rounding the corner of the path back to Robin's.

(Tw: vomiting)

I jogged to catch up and I saw her leaning over a bush. A horrible sound emitted from said bush and I realized she was vomiting.

"Holy shit— Haley!" I rushed to her side and helped her hold her hair back as she emptied her stomach.

Once she was done she used the corner of one of the towels to wipe her mouth off.