The Mines

That night I actually cooked myself a real meal. Arson ate his dinner happily while I ate mine. "When first meeting Haley she seemed like a raging bitch, but now that I got to know her a bit I can see she's a genuine person." In response I got a soft meow from the cat.

Since it was getting late, I decided to clean up a bit. I washed all the dishes, including Arson's bowl when he was done. Due to not being in the right head space for a bit, the room had clothes and shoes tossed around. Then the realization came, Haley saw my house like this. "Crap..." I mumbled as I began picking clothes up and putting them in a hamper. I would have to go to the laundromat again. It sucked having a small cabin sometimes.

Once I finished cleaning up it was even later in the night now. I took a quick shower and put on some pajamas before heading to bed.

A few days went by, I did the usual farming and clearing of land. Haley came to visit me sometimes, using an excuse saying "I need more pictures of you working for my blog."

Apparently she recently started a blog about Pelican Town, her first article was going to be about me. I reluctantly agreed since the idea of strangers looking at me seemed unpleasant. I felt better after seeing her grinning reaction when I agreed.

I found a letter in my mailbox I must have missed. Some company was apologizing for a landslide or something, I didn't really know since I just skimmed it.

My curiosity got the best of me and I decided to head to the mines after doing my usual farm work. With all the money I have made so far, I would be able to afford a chicken coop soon.

When I got to the mines I saw an older looking man crouched beside an ominous ladder that went below the earth's surface. The most prominent thing about him was the eyepatch he wore.

"So you're the new farmer eh?" He spoke in a raspy voice. "Uh yes I'm Rose- And you are?" The man was a bit intimidating once he stood up to full height.

"The names Marlon. If you're planning on going down into the mines, I suggest takin' this." He stepped over and offered a rusted sword. "Why would I-" before I could finish my question he walked out of the exit. "What a weirdo..." I mumbled before walking over to the ladder. I attached the sword to my tool belt, doing my best to loop it nicely. I made a mental note to make myself a sheath for the blade. My pickaxe was strapped nicely to the other side of the tool belt, the weight of them didn't bother me as much as it used to.

I slowly descended down the ladder into a cave. My eyes adjusted to the dimly lit area as I began mining.

Breaking certain rocks led me to ladders that went deeper into the ground. I mentally counted how many levels I descended in case I got lost or something.

Everything was going until I heard a faint plopping sound in the distance. My curiosity got the best of me as I made my way towards it. That's when I saw a gross, green slime. "What the hell is that?" I questioned, approaching it with caution. Remembering the sword Marlon gave me, I pulled it out as I prepared for the worst.

The green blob noticed my presence and began hopping towards me. It's eyes glowed a faint red color. "Stay back or I- Or I will chop you up!" I stuttered slightly, anyone would in this situation. The thing continued getting closer and once it was in range I swung the sword.

With one blow the thing was almost cut directly in half, but it clung on to life as it started to reform. "EW!" I yelled, the grotesque thing seemed to pulsate before jumping at me.

I swung my blade at the creature one last time, severing it into two pieces. As I was preparing for it to strike again, it's body began dissolving. The one thing left behind was sticky green algae. Deciding to take the green substance, I thought maybe it would prove useful.

A few hours went by and I was starting to feel exhausted. I had collected a lot of rocks and a few new minerals, as well as slime parts. My encounters with the creatures weren't very pleasant, the last one I fought left a burn on my skin from when it touched my arm.

Going down one last ladder to see if I could spot any close minerals, I was surprised by what I saw. It was a mainly empty room, except for a large chest in the middle. Curious, I made my way over and opened the box. Inside I found a pair of Tundra looking boots. "Huh?"

And with that, I left the mines using an elevator on floor ten.

By the time I got home that day, the sun had set. Quickly I placed my new things into a few chests before going inside. I cleaned myself off since I was in the mines and then made my way to bed.

I woke up the next morning and quickly got ready for the day. I threw on one of the last pairs of clean clothes I had before feeding Arson. Laundry was definitely something I needed to do soon.

I ate a quick breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon. Afterwards I went outside to do my usual work. Once I finished up selling some plants, I walked back into the house.

All of a sudden I had a realization... I hadn't texted Mae in almost a week. "Shit..." I mumbled as a wave of guilt washed over me. I went to search for my phone. The last person I had texted was Haley, I scrolled to see a lot of missed text messages from Mae. "Oh no..." I quickly opened them and began reading.

"What happened with you and Sam Everything go well? I won't hesitate to beat his ass if he did anything bad-"

"Sorry that last text was a bit aggressive."

"Hey are you okay? It's been a few hours and I'm worried."

"Rose? Did something happen?"

"Hey I'm off of work, please call me."

"I don't want to think you're ignoring me, did I do something wrong?"

"Rose, it's been days. Are you okay? Please."

The wave of guilt came over me like a tsunami. My fingers quickly got to typing. I would have called her, but it's a Friday so shes at work.

My message to her was:

"Hey Mae, I'm so sorry. I should have texted you when I got back from Sams. I'm really sorry if you got worried or anything. Don't worry, I wasn't ignoring you. I just wasn't feeling all that great after some stuff happened. When you get off of work I can catch you up on things. Just text me when you get this. And again, I am so sorry. We should hang out soon, I miss you."

I took my phone off of mute so I would immediately know when she responded. As I scrolled through all of the notifications I missed, I saw a text from Sam.

"Sorry about what happened Rose. Didn't mean to make you uncomfortable or anything. Hope we can still be friends. I hope you're doing alright. Make sure to eat and just take care of yourself :D"

My heart couldn't seem to take all of the guilt, a tear rolled down my cheek as I thought about how hurtful I was to the both of them. No I didn't say anything rude to them, but by just ignoring them I could imagine how bad they felt.

I quickly wiped away the tears forming in my eyes, doing my best to take my mind off of things by watching some tv.

Before I did, I sent Sam a quick message since it was all I could think to say:

"I'm sorry"

(Author's Note: Ahh thank you so much for all the support guys! The story has reached over 100 pages in the document I've been writing it on! That's one of the longest things I have written so far lmao. But anyways, thank you so much for all the votes. I still have no clue what votes do, but they seem like a good thing. Love y'all <3)