Oh God

Sam and I sat on the picnic blanket for hours without even realizing it. Time flew by whenever I was with him. We had packed everything up together once we noticed it would be getting dark soon.

"Did you see where I left my phone?" I asked as I looked through the grass. It was getting harder to see as the sun began setting. "It's in your back pocket." He pointed at my pocket while I was crouched down looking for it. "Oh-" I felt stupid for not realizing and he just laughed, offering me a hand to get up. I took his hand, of course.

Once he helped me up we kept our hands together like that, occasionally he would rub the back of my hand with his thumb.

We each carried a bag as we walked back through the trees. "Crap- I totally forgot Mae was my ride home. She probably left already." I sighed as I pushed the bag up to rest on my shoulder so I could grab my phone.

There were a few messages from Mae,

Mae- "I'm gonna go to the arcade with Seb and Abby."

Mae- "Trying to be nice to make up for punching him lmao"

Mae- "It's getting dark so I left and drove back to where we first arrived,

need a rife?"

Mae- "ried*"

Mae- "rifei*"

Mae- "FUCK"

Mae- "ride*"

I laughed for a moment before texting her back,

Rose- "Pfffft. Omw back"

And with that I turned my phone off and slipped it back into my pocket. "Do you have a ride home? I don't want you driving alone after drinking-" I asked, slightly worried. "Seb and Abby have been waiting for me for a while actually. We were gonna go back to my place to hangout. Probably drink more." He laughed at his last remark. "Oh okay, I'm glad." I responded with a smile knowing he would get home safely.

Sam walked with me to Mae's car and the whole time I was swinging our interlocked hands back and forth.

By the time we made it back the sun had almost set fully. "Well I guess this is where we say bye." I said awkwardly as I turned to look up at him. "I'll see you tomorrow, Row." He smiled softly before taking the other bag of picnic stuff from me. "Oh right- I forget that your house is super close." I laughed nervously before giving him a quick kiss on the cheek and then quickly walking over to the car. Throughout the entire exchange I could feel Mae's eyes on us from inside the car, causing me to be extra embarrassed.

Once I got in the passenger's seat and as soon as I closed the car door Mae began yelling.

"SO WHAT HAPPENED?!? I NEED DETAILS!!!"

I laughed at her aggressive yelling and she continued to ramble on. "Well..." Once I began speaking she got quiet and began driving.

"He set up a super cute picnic date and got help from Haley and stuff." I explained.

"Did you guys like..." she began speaking but said the last part very quietly, "fuck?" she whispered. I stared at her blankly before bursting out with laughter. "Mae, you are in your mid twenties. You do not need to whisper the word 'fuck'." I continued laughing at her, probably a bit too much.

"Ugh whatever." she sighed, it was clear Sam and I didn't do anything like that together. "When we get home you need to drink a bunch of water, I spell the alcohol on you." She spoke as if she were my mother. "Yes sir!" I saluted her jokingly and she smirked.

We were silent in the car for a while until I said, "Sam said he loves spending time with me."

"Oh? What did you say back?" Mae asked.