Labels

Sam pulled a chair out for me at the kitchen table while Vincent sat across from me. Sam helped his mom set the food down on the table and when I moved to get up and help them he motioned for me to sit back down. I sighed and turned my attention to Vincent.

"Do you get a summer break here?" I asked him and he nodded. "Miss Penny lets us have a few weeks of a break! But we still get practice work to do here and there so we don't forget." He answered with a grin. "When is your summer break?"

"It starts next week. This Friday we have our big tests and then we get a break for a few weeks." He responded before sipping out of the glass of water he was given. "Ohh I see, well good luck on your exams." I smiled sweetly and he smiled back. "Thank you! I'm sure I'll do good because Penny is a super good teacher."

"Penny really is a great girl." Jodi commented as she sat down. Sam took his seat next to me and nodded. "She's too nice for her own good sometimes." He sighed before digging in. I looked down at the meat and potato dish in front of me. It looked delicious of course, Jodi seemed to be an extraordinary cook. I'd need to learn some of her recipes.

I took a bite and the flavor was obviously amazing. "Holy sh- crap," I quickly corrected myself since Vincent was here. "This is so good!" I quickly took another bite before sipping some water. "Can you send this recipe to me?" I asked and Jodi nodded happily, "Of course! Here, just put your number in my phone." She pulled her phone out of her pocket and fumbled slightly before handing it over.

After adding my contact into her phone I gave it back to her and went back to my meal. "Are you spending the night Rose?" Jodi asked with a slight smirk that quickly vanished. "Hm, well I was thinking I might since it's already late." I responded with a shrug. Going home and sleeping in the Cabin without Mae there didn't sound too great, plus spending time with Sam always made me happy.

"Wonderful! I'll make breakfast for everyone tomorrow before going on my hike with Caroline." She added and I was just about to tell her, 'No it's fine, you don't have to.' But Sam gave me a knowing look and I simply nodded. "Oh okay- thank you. You're too kind."

Sam finished his plate before me, but waited until I was done so he could get up and take both of our plates. His mom had left to prepare a bath for Vincent. Vincent had run off to clean up his toys in the living room before he would have to bathe.

"Your mom is so sweet." I smiled softly as we both got to work doing the dishes together. I would wash and he would dry them, putting them away after. "She is, most of the time." He said with a laugh while we continued our work. "Earlier she said something kind of funny..." I laughed nervously and his eyebrow quirked up. "Hm?" He questioned and I continued, "She said I was basically her daughter in law..." I forced another awkward laugh and Sam went silent for a moment. "Sam-?" Before I could continue he changed the subject. "What do you want to do tonight?" He asked and I took a moment to think about it.

"Whatever you want to do, I'll have fun as long as you're there." I responded casually before realizing how weird it must have sounded. I was about to correct myself in order to not sound weird, but he simply grinned. "Alright, well I have an idea." He put away the last dish and we washed and dried our hands off.

Sam led me back to his room and grabbed himself a coat from his closet. I watched him from the door as he grabbed an extra jacket. It was a black and white varsity jacket with a few different patches on them. Some looked like school logos and others were more obscure.