I Hate Goodbyes

"Damnit!" A loud yell woke me up from my peaceful dreams. "You're so loud..." I mumbled before pulling the blanket off of me. Slowly I opened my eyes and realized I had fallen asleep on the floor.

"Oh hey Row... So you see I was trying to cook breakfast and then..." Mae stood in front of the stove and looked down at me with an awkward and forced smile. Confused, I got up from my spot on the floor and walked over to her. In the pan the sausages were burnt almost beyond recognition.

"How the hell do you..." I was too tired to lecture her so instead I moved her out of the way and dumped the burnt food into the trash. While she watched I started to cook a proper breakfast. The smell of the burnt food still lingered and it made my nose twitch.

I cooked the same thing we had yesterday and Mae cleaned up. She picked up the blankets we used on the rug and folded them up. Then she picked up our plates and washed them, also throwing the cans away. I was almost done cooking when I saw her forcefully fold the pizza box in half and then she shoved it in the trash can.

She had a satisfied smile on her face when she looked at the now clean room. "Good job, now sit and eat." I said before placing a fork and plate in front of her at the table. I placed my own plate in front of myself and began eating.

We were finishing up our meals when there was a knock on the front door. I glanced over at Mae with a raised eyebrow and she just shrugged. Reluctantly I got up and walked over to the door and opened it.

I was met with the familiar face of Mayor Lewis. He smiled kindly before speaking, "As an apology for leaving so quickly the other day, I wanted to give you these." He said with a smile before handing a small gift box to me. "I'm sure you'll put them to great use. And I'm very impressed by all of the work you've already done!" His smile grew wider as he motioned to the newly cleared area behind him.

"Oh well thank you Lewis, I'm grateful for your generous gift." I thanked him with a genuine smile. For some reason he reminded me of my grandpa and I wanted him to be proud of me.

"I have to go meet with Marnie now, but I wish you luck today." He said before turning and walking away. I waved goodbye and then closed the door. As I walked back over to the table and took my seat, I opened the box. Inside were 15 parsnip seeds and a little note that said:

Just a little something to get you started.

A smile spread over my face as I took the seed packet out to show Mae. "This is exactly what I needed to get the farm started today." I said before placing it down on the table and finishing my meal. "Lets clean up so you can plant those and officially become a farmer girl!" Mae cheered as she got up and took both of our plates to the sink.

She washed the dishes while I chose an outfit and walked into the bathroom to change. I put on a pair of blue overall shorts with a plain purple t-shirt under it. When I walked out Mae had sadly changed out of her cat onesie and into ripped jean shorts and a white crop top. "Show off." I muttered as I noticed how the crop top showed off her toned body.

"Don't be so jealous. Your body would look rockin 'in a crop top too, if you'd ever wear them." she commented before pulling her shoes on and walking out the door. I followed suit and put my boots on, grabbing the seeds and walking out.

Mae grabbed the axe to start chopping down the trees that were a bit too close to the house and the ones that were blocking other areas off. While she did that I used the hoe to begin tilling the soil to make a small plot a little ways in front of the house. Once that was done I planted the parsnip seeds Lewis had given me and used the watering can to water them.

I was proud of the work I had done and I couldn't help but imagine what they'd look like fully grown.

Since Mae was using the axe I grabbed the scythe to clear out the grass and weeds.

Mae and I had made significant progress on clearing a large area surrounding the front of the house. We had even found a path to the left of the house that led towards the mountains. I would have to see what's over there sometime.

It was sometime around 5:30pm and we had been working since early morning.

Mae said it was about time to clean up and head back inside so she could pack. She would have to get home and go back to work, make up for taking friday saturday and sunday off. Her normal days off were Monday and tuesday, but she would probably have to go into work those days.

We placed the tools back and walked inside. She grabbed all of her clothes and anything else she brought to pack them into her bag. The last hour she would be staying was spent on us just talking. I even suggested getting Abigail's number for her, but she said she would get it herself when she comes back to visit. When that would be, we didn't know.

I brought her bag to the car for her and placed it in the passenger's seat. Before she got into the car I gave her a tight hug, I didn't want to let go but I knew I had to. "Eveythings going to be so different now... I won't see you everyday anymore. We won't be able to eat lunch at the cafe." I felt my eyes start to water, but I held back the floodgate of tears.

Everything was changing. I've always wanted change... but I want some things to stay the same forever. I felt like this separation would damage our friendship. We've known each other for years, but what if this breaks us apart?

"I thought you wanted a break away from the city? This is the perfect chance for you to grow and thrive. Don't worry Row, I'm always going to be here to support you no matter what the distance between us is. We can call and text everyday, I'm only one tap away okay?" She pulled away from the hug and ruffled my hair. It's strange that she's comforting me, even though she is the one that has to go back to that horrible job.

"Okay." I sniffled and gave her a quick nod. "Now that's my girl." she smiled softly and I could tell she was doing her best not to cry either. "You know I hate goodbyes, so I'll see you soon." Mae gave one last look around at the farm and then back at the cabin. This place was more of a home to her than her apartment back in Zuzu.

"Until next time." I said so quietly that it was barely a whisper. And with that Mae got in her car and drove out of the farm, making her way back to the concrete tunnel that brought us here.

I felt something warm roll down my cheek and realized it was a tear. I quickly wiped it away with my wrist and began taking deep breaths to calm down.

This was it. The true start to my journey in Stardew Valley. The real beginning of all of the hardships to come. Now I have to face things on my own.

This is where it all begins.