Whole

The blue light seemed to multiply. At first there were only a few glowing spots in the distance, but it quickly spread to cover the water's horizon.

"Holy shit." I stated as I squinted to see the origins of the approaching glow.

"Are those- oh my god!" I exclaimed as I excitedly pointed out towards the light.

"I didn't know jellyfish glow like that!" I watched as the glowing jellyfish approached the dock, swimming below and past us.

"They are so beautiful. Holy shit." I repeated in astonishment.

Each jellyfish seemed to have a different intricate design on its back as well as a blue glow. They were almost blinding because of the sheer amount of them.

"They are called moonlight jellyfish. They migrate past the valley on the last day of summer." Sam explained in a quiet voice.

The entire valley watched in near silence. Only the occasional exchange of words broke what seemed to be a respectful silence towards the jellyfish.

Something about them felt otherworldly and exciting, but also... calming? I couldn't quite place the mix of emotions I was experiencing because of the jellies and the entire party itself.

I felt sort of special. My birthday happened to be the same day these beautiful creatures met the valley on their journey. It gave me a weird sense of pride.

Time flew by fast as the hundreds of moonlight jellyfish swam by. I watched with a grin on my face the entire time. Occasionally people of the town would come by and say their goodbyes, it was well past 12am at this point and many of them had things to tend to the next day. I thanked everyone for the party and gifts, promising to open them once I got home. A part of me was relieved I didn't have to open so many gifts in front of the crowd. That would most definitely peak my already high social anxiety.

Eventually even Sebastian, Penny, Mae, and Maru said their goodbyes.

Only a few more Jellyfish could be seen in the distance, the slower swimmers of the herd.

Sam yawned a few times as he sat on the edge of the dock with me.

"Sorry, I didn't want to miss even a single one." I apologized but he gave me a tired smile and said, "I kind of expected that, so don't worry. Take your time. If I fall asleep just kiss me awake, like I'm sleeping beauty." He joked as he leaned back and rested his head on the wooden  dock.

I kept my eyes focused on the remaining jellyfish, slowly making their way towards us.

They swam by with their beautiful glow and I prepared to get up. In the corner of my eye I saw one last glow. This one was green for some reason.

The green moonlight jelly approached the dock, but slowed when it came to Sam and I.

"Huh..." I leaned towards the water to get a better look at it. It seemed to be just like the hundreds of other jellyfish I saw, but it was green instead of blue.

"Hi lil guy. You should hurry up and catch up with your family." I smiled down at it as I spoke, immediately feeling stupid afterwards. I was talking to a green jellyfish. If only past me could see myself now.

It bobbed slightly in the water, as if it understood me- no no. I'm crazy. I brushed away the thought and watched as this one swam away as well.

I pulled my legs away from the water and crawled towards Sam, clearly asleep.

Before waking him I decided to check my phone. A few messages in the group chat caught my attention.

MaeMae- "Hey Rose btw we brought all the gifts to your house."