Rip Off Easter Part 1

"MEOWW!" I felt a smack to the face, abruptly waking me. My eyes slowly opened as I pulled myself out of sleep. "What the hell Arson? It's not even 6am yet-" I blinked a few times to try and collect my scattered thoughts. I realized that based on the sun's position in my window it must be past 6am, or I'm just crazy.

Another angry meow came from the large cat. "You're looking a little wide there bud, don't know if you need that extra food." I joked, but in return I got an offended look. "I was joking, I swear, you are a beautiful lil guy." I gave him a reassuring smile as I went over to his food bowl. Filling it with the necessary amount I then grabbed my phone to check the time and see if I am actually just crazy. Sure enough it said it was 8:30am, but somehow I slept for two extra hours.

Arson chewed loudly on his food as I got changed into my outfit for the festival. On my way out the door I grabbed a protein bar for breakfast. I took a few bites of it while I watered my plot of crops, careful to not get mud on my outfit. Once everything was finished I put the can back and made my way to the town square. I texted Mae about the egg festival and she wished me luck on the egg hunt. The dirt path soon became stone as I arrived at the plaza.

While walking in I passed by a stall Pierre set up, we greeted each other and I asked him what he was selling. He listed everything and I was mainly intrigued by the strawberry seeds, buying a few packs before continuing on. I began placing my seeds into my pockets when I bumped into a stranger. Looking up I saw a man that seemed to be a bit older than me. "My bad- sorry I wasn't watching where I was going." I scratched my neck as I tried to hide my embarrassment. "No no- It was my fault, I was looking down and didn't see you." He sounded and even looked extremely flustered and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Well lets just say it was equally both of our faults." After letting out another laugh I held my hand out for him to shake and introduced myself, "I'm the new farmer, Rose." This man towered over me, probably around 6'0. Normally it would be intimidating, but his timid and kind nature made me feel otherwise. "Harvey, town doctor. Again I'm sorry to bump into you." he apologized while shaking my hand intensely. I held back another laugh, not wanting to seem rude. "It was nice meeting you Harvey." I let go of his hand and waved goodbye as I walked away.

One person down... only who knows how many to go.

I saw Gus again while he was talking to a stranger, he introduced us and I got to know who the town black smith was. Clint was nice enough, a little shy but I'm not a social butterfly so who am I to judge. My next encounter was not as pleasant. I ran into Pam, the smell of alcohol seemed to ooze off of her. She rambled about putting something special in the fruit punch. I made a mental note to make sure Vincent didn't have any.

Robin was speaking with a green haired woman and in order to break the ice I said, "Wow you have such beautiful hair, green suits you." She smiled and happily accepted the compliment. "You must be the new farmer, Rose was it? Robin was just tellin' me about some plans she has for cabin upgrades. Anyways, I'm Caroline." She had a nice southern accent that was stronger than the others I had heard. "It's nice to meet you Caroline and I'm excited to know what you have planned Robin." I turned to Robin and gave her a smile before waving goodbye to them.

Walking down the plaza I saw an easter bunny carnival cut out. Thankfully there was a stepladder to its side that I could use to be the right height. As I was about to poke my head through the board, I heard someone call my name. "Hey Rose!" Sam jogged over to me from where his little group was hanging out. "What's up?" I asked as I stepped off of the small ladder. "Oh- I just came to say hi, I haven't seen you around in a while." He frowned a bit and it made me feel slightly bad for avoiding everyone before.

"Sorry about that, I just wanted a bit of alone time at the farm. Don't worry though, I'm back and ready to socialize." I gave an awkward smile and thumbs up as I spoke, getting a laugh from Sam. I couldn't lie and say his smile wasn't infectious. Without even realizing it my awkward smile became genuine.

"So whatcha doin?" he questioned with a raised brow, "You know only the kids use those right?" he added. "Really? Oh..." Feeling embarrassed I stepped away from the bunny cut out some more. "Wait I'm joking-" He waved his hands quickly once he realized I took him seriously. "I mean you're right, it is childish so..." I agreed with him. "Pshh nah, it ain't childish. Here look-" Sam walked over to the ladder and pushed it aside, even having to hunch over so his head fit perfectly in the cut out.

"See it's not childish!" He grinned goofily and I took a picture with my phone. He noticed and began making even sillier faces. I took some more photos as I laughed at how weird he was. Suddenly he pulled his head out and put the step ladder back. "Now it's your turn." He grinned mischievously as he walked over to me. "No, like you said it's only for kids right?" I jokingly mocked.

Out of nowhere he brought out these puppy dog eyes. I burst out laughing at the sight of them. Sam seemed confused, he was probably used to those puppy dog eyes working. I laughed for a solid minute before standing back up straight. I wiped away a tear from laughter and looked up at him. "You've had your laughs, now it's your turn." he had a serious expression on his face, as if he really NEEDED me to stand in the carnival cut out.

"Geez, I'll do it only because you made me laugh with those strange puppy dog eyes. I'm sure Vincent does them way better, take notes." I joked as I walked behind the cut out. Using the ladder I got to the proper height and stuck my face in the cut out section. From Sam's view I was a bunny with the face of a human. I stuck my tongue out and crossed my eyes, by doing so I didn't notice him snap a picture until my eyes readjusted.

"Wh- Delete that-!" I stammered as I quickly walked over. I reached for his phone but he held it over his head. Getting flashbacks to when we did the dishes, my mouth once again formed a straight line. "Not this shit again-" I glared up at him and made one attempt to jump for the phone and my fingers almost reached it. "Dammit..." I mumbled as I crossed my arms in defeat. Sam was most definitely a stubborn person when it came to situations like this, he would probably keep his hand up like that for a while until I gave up. So why not give up early? I sighed at the whole ordeal before taking a look at the rest of the plaza. There were still so many people I hadn't met yet.

"Well before the egg hunt starts I want to finish meeting everyone, so I'll talk to you later." It looked like Sam was going to say something but I had turned away too quickly.

I ran into an old couple. The old woman named Evelyn was so sweet, but her husband George not so much. I cut my talk with them short and continued down the plaza. As I walked I noticed a really pretty blond girl and some jock looking dude.

They gave me 'popular' kid vibes and it was most definitely scary to approach them. "Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Rose, the new farmer." I scratched my neck nervously as I felt their eyes look over me like an inspection."You're the new girl? Cool I guess... Anyways I'm Alex." the boy shrugged "Oh... I'm Haley. Hmm... If it weren't for those horrendous clothes you might actually be pretty. Actually, nevermind." The blond girl scoffed before turning back to Alex.

I looked down at my outfit and then back at her. Yea I wasn't some fashionista, but I wouldn't say my clothes were 'horrendous'. My first reaction was embarrassment and a bit of sadness, but it was quickly replaced by rage. Maybe this anger was fueled by other 'popular' looking kids I knew in highschool.

"Excuse me you dumb blond bimbo. Someone sure is mad she peaked in highschool. Let me guess, your whole personality revolves around appearances? Shut the fuck up." I sneered before quickly turning to walk away. As I swiftly left the situation my anger dissipated and I was simply starstruck at what I had said to her. Not looking back, I kept walking until I saw a long haired man and woman talking to each other.

Taking a deep breath to calm down from my last encounter with people, I walked over. "Hello, just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I'm the new farmer Rose." I gave them a friendly smile and wave. "Ah yes, the new farmer. What a lovely name, I am Elliot." He smiled and I could see wisdom behind his eyes. "I am Leah, a pleasure." I stood and chatted with them for a bit until I realized I had no clue what they started talking about. It sounded philosophical and I immediately waved goodbye and walked off.