Happy Birthday

I woke up to the feeling of the sun hitting my face through the parted curtain. My natural alarm clock that worked about half the time. I sat up and noticed Mae was nowhere in the cabin.

I got up and grabbed a meal bar before peeking my head outside. I saw Mae finishing up watering the crops. "What are you doing?" I questioned and she walked over. "I got up super early and did the farm work! I wanted to prove to you that it wasn't a horrible idea to let me live here." She gave a thumbs up and I laughed. "That was really sweet of you, thanks." I held the door for her as she walked inside.

"At first the chicks were a bit afraid of me, but once I fed them we were best buds." She explained with a mouthful of her meal bar.

"When is your boyfriend's party?" She asked as she got up to throw away her wrapper. "5ish he said. We can probably get most of the unpacking done by then if we work efficiently." I replied and she nodded. "I have those trolly thingies for the boxes, they should work since the ground isn't too bumpy." She walked over to the door and we both walked out.

The hot summer sun shined down on us and I already felt my forehead start to sweat.

"Wanna put on some music?" I suggested and she grinned as she slid the moving van door open. "Sure, I'll put on the playlist you made me. I love it so fucking much dude." She pulled her phone from her back pocket.

Right before she pressed play we heard footsteps jogging up to us from the path to town. She gave me a questioning look and I shrugged before turning to see who it was. To both of our surprise it was Sam that had jogged over.

"Glad I made it in time." He panted a bit and I glanced at the time on Maes phone. "You're up early Sam." I commented and he nodded. "Yeah, well I know you early birds would probably be unpacking today and I wanted to help." He walked over and began pulling out a table from inside the moving van. Mae looked at him skeptically as she helped him pull it out.

They both carried one end of it. "You came to help? On your birthday? Why?" She questioned with a raised brown. "I just wanted to help out my girlfriend's best friend. Make a good impression on my new neighbor too." He laughed awkwardly and I could tell he was a bit nervous under her intimidating stare.

"Thank you Sam, but you really don't have to. It's your birthday! Go have fun and we'll meet you at the party." I urged before nudging him with my hips so I could hold his end of the table. He looked down at me with a soft smile and kissed the top of my head. "It's fine Row, I want to help." He gave me a certain look and I sighed knowing he wouldn't back down.

The three of us got to work unloading all of the heavy furniture first before moving on to using the carts to bring the boxes in. After an hour and a half we had emptied out the van.

We stood in her cabin and all chugged a cold water bottle I had grabbed from my cabin. "Thanks Sam." Mae's words shocked me a bit. I was surprised she would thank him since she still seemed to be attempting to intimidate him.

"It was my pleasure." He beamed at her and she smiled back for a moment before quickly covering it up with a blank stare. "It's only 9?" I questioned. Being in the heat for so long seemed to make time go by slower.

Sam finished up his bottle and threw it into the trash can we had set up in her kitchen. "Alright lover boy, time for you to head home. Relax for the rest of the day. We can handle the unpacking." Mae gave him a pat on the back and began pushing him towards the front door. "It's fine, I can still help." He replied and she opened the door.

"Unless you want to accidentally stumble onto my sex toys, I suggest you leave." She stated and his face went red, "You're- Wh-" Mae nodded, "Mhm, that's what I thought." While he tried to wrap his head around what she said she pushed him out the door and closed it.