The Party

"Are you sure my ass isn't out?" Mae asked for the fifth time as we walked towards the beach. "You're fine, everything is covered." I laughed and she just simply sighed. We both carried our own gift bag and I held onto the card.

We made it to the beach and I spotted Penny setting up a few tables.

"Penny!" I greeted her with a smile as we made our way over. We placed our gift bags on a table that already had a few others, I put the card into my bag.

"I love your swimsuit." I complimented, she was wearing a plain red bikini with a few ruffles on it. "Oh thank you! You too look lovely as well." She smiled nervously.

"I'm Mae by the way." Mae greeted as she stuck her hand out for Penny to shake. Penny took her hand awkwardly but smiled happily, "I'm Penny, thank you for coming. I'm sure Jas will love you."

"Speaking of Jas, where is she?" I asked as I looked around the empty beach.

"She went with Shane to go meet up with Vincent. They should be back soon." Penny explained and I nodded . "Ohhh okay. Where should I put my stuff?" I asked, referring to my bag with sunscreen and random essentials for the beach. "On that table over there." She pointed behind us and we made our way over to it.

Mae helped me apply the sunscreen and I did the same for her. Once we were done we left our stuff and walked back over to Penny.

"How many people are coming?" I asked and she thought about it for a moment. "Well I invited the whole town, but it was on such short notice I don't know who's coming." She shrugged. I couldn't help but find it weird that she forgot.

"Need help setting up?" I asked and she pointed towards a large plastic box, "There are some beach toys in there. If you want you could set them up. I would really appreciate it."

Mae and I went over and got to work setting some stuff up.

There was a portable volleyball net that expanded and it took us a while to figure out how to properly set it up. After that we pulled out the ball and some other random toys. Mae's lungs were tired after blowing up some inflatables.

I placed down the last inflatable ball and when I stood back up I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jumped slightly, surprised by the contact. When I turned around I saw Sam.

"Oh- Sam!" I smiled and gave him a hug. "Are you here for the party? That's a dumb question nevermind." I laughed nervously. I could see Mae giggling at our interaction. I shot her a glare and she wandered off to go talk with Penny.

"Do I make you nervous, Rose?" Sam asked with a slight smirk. "Me? Nervous? Pshhh no way man. I'm as cool as a cucumber." I gave him a thumbs up and he chuckled. "Mhm, we can go with that." He decided to not push it and instead grabbed my hand. He led me over to Jas and Vincent hanging out by the edge of the water.

"Hey kiddos!" I greeted with a warm smile. It had been a while since I last saw them both.

"Rose!" They both said in unison before rushing over to hug me. "I missed you guys." I patted them both on the head.

"Happy Birthday Jas, you're gonna be taller than me soon." I said, only half joking.

"Thank you! I'm so happy you came. What did you get me?" She stared up at me with excitement but I just shook my head. "You'll have to wait until later to see."

"Wait!" Vincent cut into our conversation. He looked at Jas and she nodded. "We came up with names for the Chimkens!" Vincent blurted and Jas whispered, "I think it's pronounced chickens." He thought for a moment before agreeing. "What did you come up with?" I asked and they both grinned at each other.