The Uchiha Coup, Part I: First Blood

It was the end of another nice, quiet and uneventful day at Konoha. The sun was starting to set, and its inhabitants got prepared for their usual evening activities.

At the Hokage's Tower, Hiruzen Sarutobi had just finished with the daily paperwork, and was now relaxing by reading a novel on one of the tower's living rooms.

Shikaku Nara, Inoichi Yamanaka and Choza Akimichi were on their favorite tavern, sharing a few drinks, reminiscing about the old days, bitching about their wives and boasting about their children.

Anko Mitarashi was at her favorite spot, Dangoya, having some sake and stuffing her mouth with her favorite food.

Iruka and Mizuki were also hanging out at a bar, with the latter trying –and failing– to flirt with a the kunoichi there, and Iruka trying to remind Mizuki in vain that he was going to marry in a few weeks.

Kurenai Yuhi was at her house, doing her laundry.

Yugao Uzuki and Hayate Gekko were on a date to celebrate the first year anniversary of their relationship.

In the Hyuga Compound, Hiashi Hyuga was revising some of the clan's paperwork regarding the clan's expenditures for the past month, while his wife played with their daughters. Meanwhile, Hizashi and Neji finished some late afternoon training at the boy's request.

On a one-room apartment near the walls, Itachi looked through the window at the village, wondering why he didn't hear any news from his friend and cousin Shisui yet, and prayed for his safety.

At the Senju Residence, Tsunade was in the living room teaching Hagane and Kaida how to play Poker, while Shizune and Naruto were in the kitchen about to prepare dinner, while Shizune told Naruto that if he got ramen for breakfast and later for lunch, he wasn't going to have ramen for dinner.

The Uchiha Compound, however, was completely empty, except for one person, Sasuke Uchiha, who was fast asleep in his bed after having a rather brutal training session with his father. Little did he knew that Fugaku wanted Sasuke to be asleep as soon as possible to keep him away from what was about to happen.

...

At the west gate of the Konoha, two Chunin were finishing their shift. One of them was big, had spiky brown hair and a broad nose. The other was a skinny man who wore an eyepatch over his left eye, and a bandana over his head.

"The sun is setting down. So, I believe it's time to close the doors, right, Bekko?" the skinny one said.

"I guess so, thought our replacements didn't come yet, Iwana," the man named Bekko replied.

"Oh, who cares? It's not our bussiness if they're late. Come on, let's close the gates and go to have some drinks. My throat is dry," Bekko said as he walked towards the gates, but heard no response from his partner. "Iwana?"

The big-nosed Chunin turned around to see his eyepatch-wearing partner flat on his back, lifeless. "What the hell?"

"I'm sorry, but the gates are to remain open for the rest of the night," a chilling voice said behind Bekko.

Bekko turned around, and when he did so, the man behind him slashed his throat open. The last thing the Chunin saw before expiring were a pair of red eyes, staring into his very soul.

"West Gate, secured. Send the signal," the Uchiha Chunin said to his partner.

The other Uchiha nodded, and formed several hand seals, and cast a Great Fireball into the sky. A few minutes later, hundreds of criminals, mercenaries and low-level missing-nin that were hiding among the forests of the outskirts of Konoha left their hiding place and rushed into the unsuspecting village.